HELP HELP!! Windows 98 ==> win 2000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compuwiz

Aight, here is my scenerio. My old computer is 200MHz with 32 EDO ram, and 4 gigs. (Old POS). Anyway, it currently has windows 98 second edition on it, and I need to get my router to work on that computer (works fine on this comp). So, what I want to do is upgrade from 98 to windows 2000 pro.

I popped in the windows 2000, just like normal, went through setup and now when I start comp there are 2 options:

Windows 2000 Setup
Windows 98

Of course, I go to win2k setup, but then I get an error that a file is corrupt. Big deal, went and re-installed it again. Same thing. So that is ruled out, I cannot do anything in setup so I am forced to go into 98.

When I restart comp in MS-DOS mode, it zipps right past the c:\ part, so I cannot type anything at all. So, I gotta restart comp and go back to win 98. Right here is where im stuck because the setup doesnt work like I said, and I cannot work in MS-DOS. Keep in mind, that something else is corrupt in win98 - the command prompt within 98 wont do anything. I cannot do anything, a dialog comes up saying that an error happened and is forced to exit the program.

What do I need to do to get win2k pro on this piece?

[size=1]Edited - watch your language. [/size]

I'm not saying it won't work, because I've seen 2K on a 200MHz machine, though slow, but I'd not recommend putting it on there, first off, it is 200MHz and secondly it only has 32MB of EDO.

I'd recommend you find another way to get the router to work on that machine, or else upgrade it to better handle 2K.

I'd bet that your problems in 98 are probably what is causing the upgrade problems though, might want to do like Veh said and do a clean install. You shouldn't have to reinstall 98 though, just put the 2K CD in, it will ask for the 98 CD during setup to varify upgrade qualification then it will install without having to install 98.

win98 to win2k

09-27-2002, 08:06 PM
Compuwiz
Newcomer, in training Join Date: Sep 2002

HELP HELP!! Windows 98 ==> win 2000 pro

Aight, here is my scenerio. My old computer is 200MHz with 32 EDO ram, and 4 gigs. (Old POS). Anyway, it currently has windows 98 second edition on it, and I need to get my router to work on that computer (works fine on this comp). So, what I want to do is upgrade from 98 to windows 2000 pro.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are lucky to be running win98 on your computer without a
lot of blue screens of death on it . 32 edo ram is the recomended
amount to run win98 . Win2k is a hog on rams if you type search
for system requirements for win2k I Think that it says that 128 ram
is min . and 215 ram is recomended . There is no way to run win2k
with that amount of rams
:hotbounce

Beer Chaser
you can click on the Quote button of the post you want to quote, then delete the textbits you don't want in the new message-window. Much easier and cleaner than what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back