Help - hoping to use left over ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to throw together a decent system for a friend using some orphaned parts. It's main use will be running BeyondTV - and it will likely do some dvd burning, minor editing of mpg (no rencoding), internet etc, but it won't be using for gaming or anything that intensive. I'm expecting that I'll pick up a new motherboard and cpu, but I've got several flavors of ram laying around, and I'm hoping someone can offer me a bit of an education.

I've got three new, unopened 1GB (2x512) memory upgrades for an HP XW8000. It's listed as SimpleTech STH3104/1GB 512MB PC2100 ECC Registered DDR DIMM Memory - Hewlett-Packard Part A7841A.

There's a note on the site that says not to buy registered ram unless you absolutely need it. This stuff is pretty pricey. Will this memory typically work on a board that supports typical DDR266, or do I need something more specific? I guess I'm not really clear on "registered"; are they trying to save people from spending money on a trait that they don't require, or will registered ram not run in a system that doesn't require it?

More details on the ram can be found on simpletech's site, part number sth3104_1gb.

I've got other ram that I know would work, but if I could get a board with four slots and give them 2 GB of ram that's gathering dust on my shelf, so much the better.

Thanks for the help.

Barnsie

ECC ram offers an extra level of stability for a system . Most domain/backup type Severs use it .There is no negative reason for it's use , especially since you have laying around.
It is imperative that you confirm compatibility with the Mb you buy.

Imperative?

Liquidlen said:
It is imperative that you confirm compatibility with the Mb you buy.

Thanks for the response Liquidlen, but could you please expand on "imperative"?

I'm finding tons of boards that can handle DDR266, but none so far that specifically call for ECC Registered. Will a typical ddr266 board be able to use to this ram as if it were standard ram (ignoring the registered properties) or will it not be able to handle this ram at all?

Thanks again,

Barnsie

Most Desktop Mb don't recommend ECC they either can support it or not.
It is not considered a priority for mainstream desktop computer's.Mostly because unregistered Ram that is availible now is extremely reliable and inexpensive.
So the board only need's to be able to support ECC .
It will not hurt you to have it , and it can in fact give a little extra stability and reliability.
Do a Google on ECC ,read a little about it's properties. It is really great technology.

well its pc2100 so your limited to a 2400+ and under. A 2500+ and so fourth uses 333mhz FSB and that'll download your cpu cuz of the ram holding back the fsb.

also the mobo might not take the ram, it may say it takes ECC, or might work, but ive heard of many cases when systems wont boot for ECC ram.

Thanks for the help

I think I'll give it a go anyway. I've found a few boards that say they support ECC. They are a bit more expensive than the ones that I had my eye on, but still less expensive than buying the 2GB of new ram. I don't really mind the slower cpu, as the system won't really be asked to do anything too intensive.

Thanks for the advice.

Barnsie

---agissi--- said:
well its pc2100 so your limited to a 2400+ and under. A 2500+ and so fourth uses 333mhz FSB and that'll download your cpu cuz of the ram holding back the fsb.

also the mobo might not take the ram, it may say it takes ECC, or might work, but ive heard of many cases when systems wont boot for ECC ram.
The slowdown from using PC2100 ram will be very negligible. I had PC2100 RAM in a XP 2500+ Barton core system and it ran fine. I barely(if at all) noticed the difference when I replaced it with PC2700 ram.

I bet it shaved atleast 10fps off your games, if not 15-20.

In windows you may not be able to tell.

---agissi--- said:
I bet it shaved atleast 10fps off your games, if not 15-20.

In windows you may not be able to tell.
There you go, I am not a gamer. I have about any game one would want but it's just more a collectors affliction than anything(call it torrent madness). The point I was trying to make was that PC2100 RAM does not preclude one from using a more technologically advanced MB. The jest I got from the poster I replied to was that it was it was either a mortal sin or that it couldn't be done.

Haha, moral sin :) defently not a moral sin.

Sorry, if your not a gamer then no, save the moeny and stick with your PC2100 ram, but I was trying to inform more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back