Help; Hyperterminal Internet Sharing? Possible? No? Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have an old laptop with no ethernet port, the expansion card slot has been removed(broken), single usb port broken. Wireless is no longer an option, but i have rigged up a phone cord (slightly modified, green to red and red to green, as to allow the connection) and connected through hyperterminal (AT commands) between itself and my desktop. This works for file sharing to a point, but I'm curious about internet connection sharing. Are there any solutions to share internet in this way? Are there programs that are better for the job? Did I miss an easier way to connect using my modems?

No problem. You set up a "direct cable connection" between the two computers and enable "internet connection sharing" afterwards. The stuff between "" mean the Microsoft lingo that should help you google for step-by-step guides.

if you want ics turned on, the desktop will have to be on while you're on the net on any other pc/laptop. i have not tried with HT before so it might not work, but if it uses the same basic principles of networking, then you can goto home networking wizard (assuming you have XP) then follow through abotu internet sharing etc. otherwise set your pc to have 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 (if you use the 10 instead of 192).
that instruction was for dialup internet/broadband/adsl modem connected to desktop pc. routers may need a slight ajustment to teh steps but you;'d probably figure it out..
hope it helps...

Both are running xp, and i'm not sure hyperterminal and the network connections are the same. hyperterminal i have to type in modem AT commands to connect the two computers, i know i'll find an easier more automated method using those, as for internet connection sharing using direct cable connection, i will try that again, didnt have the best of luck playing around with that earlier, but i since made the phone cord modification. Thank you both for trying to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back