Help I am a newbee! loose thermostat cable on CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I was trying to change the PSU on my PC, as I was taking the PSU unit out, i found a loose cable that said, CPU, don't pull, it's not the CPU power connector since that is still in the Mobo, and i think it belongs to my CPU thermostat, since I have a digital readout on the front of the PC, the question is, Where does it go!!!?? I am freaking out here. Ironically, it says "CPU don't pull". the cable itself terminates in a plastic end with two very fine filaments.

Also, I lifed the CPU fan levers, but did not take the fan off. Will this be ok to put back down? or do I now need to get more thermal paste?

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie.

Thanks

That cable is most likely the Thermostat , that filament end gets taped to the underside of the heatsink as close to the cpu as posible.
Although I doubt that you would need to clean and then reapply Thermal paste, if YOU are very certain you did not dislodge the seal between the CPU and the Heatsink. If there is any doubt in your mind I suggest cleaning and then reapply to be sure.
The only way to know if you are wrong could be devastating.

Hi Liquidlen, I assume by breaking the seal, you mean, the contact was broken between the CPU and the heatsink, in that case, I have to say that is a probability. Does this mean that I need to reseat the heatsink with the CPU? or, can I continue?

With regard to the thermostat there appears to be no thermal paste on it. Is it possible it was simply stuck between some of the cooling filaments on the heatsink?

Also, while installing the PSU, the old PSU was gerry rigged like a Christmas tree, The new PSU is more powerful, the only thing I am not sure about is that I have installed a Antec power supply and it uses individual connectors for the SATA, PCI express connections. I notice that the number of pins present that connect to the PSU are different on the cables connecting to the PSU. Will this be a problem If I decide to power the computer up? will there be different voltages as a consequence of these terminations?

thankz

1. Properly clean the Bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPu , reapply thermal paste and then inastall the whole assembly correctly to the MB. 2 The thin filament end of the thermostat wire usually gets stuck to the underside of heatsink, close to but not touching the CPU, with a heat resistent tape. You have to be sure it does not interfere with anything in this area.. I have seen that themostat stuck bettween some fins on the heatsink , but this would probably give a unreliable temp reading as airflow is directly on it.I would not stress it too much if you have a newer Mb which now register temps onboard. Tape is the best solution though.

Antec is a fantastic PSU I have them in two of my systems. You do not have to worry about the different connectors on it.These terminals connect to their equivilent connectors on the board.They are by design, to reduce the possibility of connecting an incorrect level of power to any individual component. Just read all of you manuals and use only the terminals outlined for your individual items. Unless you have a monster machine with every concievable option . you will not need all those connectors. Just fold up any extras up out of the way so they do not affect Airflow thru your case.

Hi Liquidlen and Techspot,

Thanks Liquidlen for all your advice and support, it was just what I needed to remove the uncertainty variable from my brain.

It was the PSU that was busted. I've installed a UPS and new PSU, and everything is booting fine.

I will go through and reaffix the Heatsink to the CPU just to be sure.

Many thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back