Help I can't get my sound to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altoids

I have a Gateway mx7120. I wiped the hard drive and loaded up windows xp sp2 home ed. and there was no sound i have audio codecs legacy audio drivers media control devices legacy video capture devices video codecs and i downloaded realtek AC'97 audio but i get an error " this device can not start. (code10)" Does anyone think they can help me. Ive spent 2 days trying to figure this out and i haven't gotten anywhere. thanks

didnt work

i did what it told me to and downloaded the sigmatel driver but when i installed it , it said that the system does not support the driver is there any other advice you could give me?

i dont think i did the chip set ...

i dont think i did the chip set im going to right now i downloaded the rest though

In that case I have to admit I`m not sure what your problem is caused by.

Maybe some of our other members will have better ideas than me.

Sorry I couldn`t help.

Regards Howard :)

umm

i was downloading Gateway/Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver Version: 3.100.64.1 and during the install process windows trys to load ac 97 audio and a media controller maybe if i could get those to stop loading it would install correctly do u have any idea?

I've had a similar problem before when I've accidentally used realtek audio drivers instead of via drivers.

It may simply now be that your computer is rejecting the correct drivers in favour of the ones you first installed. When this happens, it's a proverbial "pain in the backside".

I can't remember exactly how I resolved it now, but what needs to be done if your issue is similar, is to uninstall the realtek drivers, and completely eradicate them from your system. The easiest way to to this is to uninstall them, delete the driver files, and use system restore if you have a restore point before the time you installed the realtek drivers.

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager

Expand your "sound, video and game controlers"

Do all codecs and drivers have the same icon next to them? If so, they should all be working fine and the lack of sound is not a driver/codec problem.

If any has a "!" then you'll need to uninstall that item, reboot, and allow windows to detect the item, then reinstal with your downloaded drivers.

Did u reformat your drives? Or just reinstall winXP?

thank but no good

i just tryed deleteing the realtek and rebooting ..sigh didnt work... theres an ! point next to multimedia controller but it still wont accept the ac 97 one that gateway website has provoided me with... this will make 36 hours and counting im going to trying to find a restore point before realtek

i just rewiped

So i just rewiped my computer and im going to update windows again then update everything some the gateway website hopefully that get it done.

well

I have finally got around to reinstalling every thing the only problem is this damned multimedia controller even the one that gateway gives me still says its not for my system when it is... i dont know what to do im going to pull my hair out

I Did It!!

I did it!! i fixed it yesterday! gateway support had the wrong audio driver for my mx7120 i ended up downloading the audio driver for the mx7118 thanks for the help

Same problem

hey, I had the same thing and after about 6 trips to gateway's site and chatting with "technicians" they told me I had to BUY the cd with all the correct drivers on it. They dont even list the realtek as the driver on the support site! Lame huh? I eventually got the guy to give in and mail me the driver cd for free, but I will try the mx7118 driver first.

thanks for posting your solution, ive been soundless for about a week.

Altoids said:
I have a Gateway mx7120. I wiped the ard drive and loaded up windows xp sp2 home ed. and there was no sound i have audio codecs legacy audio drivers media control devices legacy video capture devices video codecs and i downloaded realtek AC'97 audio but i get an error " this device can not start. (code10)" Does anyone think they can help me. Ive spent 2 days trying to figure this out and i haven't gotten anywhere. thanks

You saved the day, actually year! I think there are alot more people out there who need to know that little factoid about the mx7118. I too went through five technician's (all who tried their best to be helpfull) none of whom discovered the solution that you luckily came accross. I reformatted the notebook to give to my girlfriend who's being sent to Iraq, and was so nervous I wouldn't have it ready in time. Thank You sooo much!

I'm betting the drivers......... Whatever find out EXACTLY what sound card you have then go search for the drivers....... I bet that will fix you up

i was having the same problem with my laptop... i was going to install the crap windows vista again just to fix the problem because i couldnt find the solution.... THANK U very much for post the solution.... u saved my life hehe :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back