Help! I have a new Dell desktop and the Internet Explorer is not woking.

By Tish Bird
Jan 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a new Dell desktop with Windows XP home edition. The software is corrupt. I have config /release, / renew/ etc. Spent hours with Dell and they want $99 to fix something that has never worked! There has to be a way to make it work. I have already restored. I ran Spybot, McAffee, AVG. My laptop works fine. Can I boot IE from my laptop to the desktop? There's something fishy trying to charge me for fixing Windows XP when it has never worked! What can I do?
  2. hewybo

hewybo TechSpot Maniac Posts: 570

Tried this?

Have you gone to MS and tried to download IE latest version? This might overwrite whatever the problem is. ? If you have NO active browser, go to Start>all programs> Windows update. Just a thought. :knock:
  3. SCHUMIinSA

SCHUMIinSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 162

Do other browsers like Opera or Mozilla Firefox work?

If they do then don't bother. Internet Explorer is crap compared to the other browsers out there.
  4. Tish Bird

Tish Bird Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

new to this

How can I get another browser?. The desktop is only 7 months old and I'm sorry I went with Dell. My laptop is fine. There should be a way to transfer IE to the desktop. You seem like you know what you're talking about. I never have been a techie, although I should have gotten a BET from USF 20 yrs. ago. I only know all the first generation languages. I have a BA is Information Systems and am about to get a Masters in Human Resources. I feel like an ***** when it comes to this. Thanks, Tish
  5. hewybo

hewybo TechSpot Maniac Posts: 570

Have you tried Windows update to try to download IE? How about System Restore? There's gotta be a way. Also, have you scanned for spyware/viruses?
    Sorry- just re-read your first post, and you've tried restore already. I dunno- not educated enough yet. Maybe one of the smart ones will show up with a fix. Good luck. :eek:
  6. SCHUMIinSA

SCHUMIinSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 162

Just download Opera off the net. It is currently my favourite browser.

Just google for Opera.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.