TechSpot

HELP, i need my music! faulty headphone jack

By ahsum
Dec 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have had an advent PC for just over a year now and it has never given me any problems until now. The PC has 2 headphone jacks, one at the back and an extra easy acces one at the front. As well as having some desktop speakers attached to the rear jack, I often use the front jack to connect headphones or my hi-fi. Recently i realised that the front jack was not funtioning properly and sound was only coming from one side of my headphones. Today, i tried listening to some music from my ordinary speakers and it plays very quietly. I know that the front jack is prioritised over the rear one and am certain that the problem lies here. Is there some way of disabling a headphone jack, and would it work if i just removed it.

Please help
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

I doubt the jack would work any better if you removed it.. :p
  3. ahsum

ahsum TS Rookie Topic Starter

no i mean will the back one work if i removed the front one
  4. Nodsu

The back one should work no matter what..
  5. ahsum

thats the problem, the back one thinks the front ones occupied so doesnt work properly.
  6. Nodsu

Well, open up your computer and unplug the wires running to the front jack.
  7. ahsum

i unplugged the wire and now no sound comes out at all, are there some settings that may need altering?
  8. Nodsu

Are you sure the front jack and the back jack are the same? Are they the same colour?
  9. ahsum

they r both green headphone (line out) jacks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.