Help! Installed ubuntu, now Windows XP wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

Ok. So I had 1 harddrive, windows partition of 60GB, had a FC4 partition of 25GB.

I wanted ubuntu instead of Fedora, so I struggled getting the partitions setup in ubuntu install. I was goign back and forth, exiting, re-configuring, trying to get the "no root configured" , until I fixed it. It installed fine, it works (except for wireless). Now It wont let me boot into windows (which works on wireless), I am using grub. It told me that MS windows was detected.... Click next to install bootloader....etc. Now when I try to boot into Windows XP, I get this after I tell grub to boot into windows:
Code:
Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP'

root (hd1, 0) 
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
savedefualt
makeavtive
chainloader +1

I dont know what this means, or what to do.
I was thinking somehow copy the partition onto my 120GB drive, to back up and re-install XP? Could I do this wit ha boot disk like knoppix?

If you need anymore info, I am here.
Thank you in advanced.
Dan Rippon

Does the computer hang at this point or does it expect some input?

The correct command after chainloader +1 would be "boot"

Having the same problem

I installed Ubuntu on #2 machine. I am getting the same message when I try to boot into Win XP. It just sits there. The only thing that will do anything is Ctrl+Alt+Del, which reboots it.
Also, Ubuntu does not seem to recognize .exe files. Is there something that can be done with those to force them to run? And why can't I see the E: Drive (Slave) in Ubuntu? As far as it is concerned, the drive doesn't exist.
Unless there is someone that can give me some answers to this OS, I'm going to have to chuck it. It's not worth the hassle.

With that attitude you should chuck it.. :p

Ubuntu does not "recognise" .exe files because those are DOS/Windows programs and will just plain not work on Linux. You should install Wine (a Windows emulation layer) if you insist on running Windows executables.

Ubuntu does not show your E: drive because the concept of drive letters is (a stupid) DOS/Windows feature. It probably "sees" the drive as something else like the /dev/hdc device or a /mnt/blah mountpoint.

Sorry, I was very frustrated and angry. My son would like to keep it, and if someone could point me in the right direction to get it to do what he wants on it, it would help. You said 'wine' is needed, great, where's the best place to find it? I've looked some, but my patience was running thin.

http://www.winehq.com/

If you are just starting off with Linux I would suggest a little more user friendly version of Linux.

Possibly VectorLinux (my pick) or Mandriva.

I have a XP / Linux dual-boot box at home but for some reason I can't seem to access it at the moment so I can't grab my GRUB config from it at the moment.

Thanks, That's a start. Is it me or is Linux a whole lot more complicated than
Windows?
I think I'd better do some more reading on Linux and start over. This is going to be a project in progress. :angel:

I really think Linux has come a long way. Its not nearly as complicated as it was to get up and working 6 years ago. I can install a Linux distro on a computer now and everything works on the first boot up. That was almost unheard of 4 years ago....

Its just different and you need to get used to it thats all....try to be patient:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back