HELP!!Installin xp on a laptop with no floppy or cd drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a sony vaio R505EL SuperSlim laptop. I don't have the docking station which has the floppy and cd drive on it. How do I install xp from my a cd?? I have a usb cd drive and a memory stick slot on the laptop. Plaeas help I have been trying for days now....thankx

Try connecting to another PC via a network. Then on that PC set the CD-rom to "shared". Install the new OS using this shared CD-rom.

You should just have to setup your bios to boot from CD or USB to get it to work properly. Give that a try and post back.

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

I dont have an os on it ...whan it boots up it says no os found and thats it. there is no palce in the bios to boot form usb...there is boot from cd but whan i select it nothng happens, just no os found.

Another and cheaper option is to buy an adapter to use laptop hdds with a normal IDE cable (ie. 2.5" to 3.5" hdd adapter as they're sometimes sold), and install the OS (or just the textmode setup phase) with a desktop computer.

Mic, what about all his hardware-differences? The desktop is quite different from his laptop. That would hardly (if ever) work!

Originally posted by verbal_thret
what about a pcmcia cd drive? could I boot from that??

Most likely, no. And you'd be better off just buying the docking station instead.

in the bios there is an option for i.link boot, when I enable it and hook up a i.link cd drive iid does nothing. Like its not there. I just keep getting no os found??????:(

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Mic, what about all his hardware-differences? The desktop is quite different from his laptop. That would hardly (if ever) work!
That's why I said only the textmode setup. The hardware detection takes place after the 1st reboot.

Like I (and Rick) said before, you will need to get the docking station.
Makes me wonder how you got that laptop without it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back