Help installing External Hard Drive to Laptop

By sanjay123
Feb 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need help, customer service sucks. Here's my situation:
    1. I have a dell 5150 laptop and want to install an external HD.
    2. I purchased the seagate Barracuda 7200.8 HD w/ enclosure. (Model number ST3250823A).
    3. When I pluged it in, the computer detected a "new USB device" and then said "their may be problems with the new device".
    4. Now when I go to "my computers"-->Manage-->Device manager there is a yellow exlcamition point next to the USB Storage.
    5. Also, my computer won't boot up when i have my HD on. My computer will freeze up.
    6. The drive does not show up on my computer.

Can anyone please help? I just want to use it as an external hd to store my mp3;s.
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Do you have the jumper set correctly on the drive? External enclosures may have different ways they want the junper set.
  3. sanjay123

sanjay123 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

yup

Tried everything--master/slave. no luck
  4. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Newcomer, in training

I have the exact same drive and the exact same problem. I can't boot with the drive powered up. However, if I boot the PC, then connect and power on the Seagate, it will recognize.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Maybe you can disable booting from USB devices in BIOS or disable USB legacy support?
  6. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Newcomer, in training

I solved the problem with my setup. I opened the enclosure and removed the jumper, setting the drive to "slave" mode. Works great now with no boot or recognition problems.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.