TechSpot

Help Installing Maxtor ATA HDD

By Zanevalon
May 22, 2005
  1. i have a 40 gb maxtor hdd and it was working fine as a secondary hdd. but then i disconnected the cords to install my ps2 hdd to my computer so that i cud put some stuff on it and wen i reconnected the maxtor hdd it wasnt recognized by the bios. this happened wen i first bought it too and i keep switching the jumpers from like slave to master to cable select and its still not being recognized. im not sure what the problem is. at one point it came up on the bios but i had to put it in the little slot under the first hdd and wen irestarted it wasnt there so i keep switcing it and its still not working. is there any way i can get it come up under the bios?

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

possibility you may have shorted the HD circuit board. HD's aren't meant to be unplugged / plugged in constantly. I'd first make sure the jumpers are correct on the HD. Then I would test the controller card with another HD that you know works.

After doing both, if it still doesn't work, your HD may be dead.

3. Zanevalon

Zanevalon TS Rookie Topic Starter

whats the controller card? n if its dead is there anyway to get the stuff off of it?

4. Tedster

a controller card is a PCI card for ATA hard drives. If your Hard drive is plugged into the Motherboard directly, then your controller card is already on your motherboard. Most newer motherboards have it already on them. Older motherboards have a PCI card, or a PCI card because the motherboard card is a slower speed like Ultra 66.

There is nothing to extract from a controller card. It is all hardware. If you have a PCI controller card and you discover it is bad, they're cheap to replace. No more than $40. You can get them for a lot less though.

5. Zanevalon

i tried and its still not working is there anyway to get whats on my HD off of it and move it to maybe another?

6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

If you've tried it on a known working channel and it did not respond - then its tucked.
    Surely you had the wanted data backed up.

7. Zanevalon

i've never backed anything up in my life. i dunno how to back up anything, if u mean like put it on cds or something i lose them so i dont bother doing that. =\

8. Tedster

then more than likely your HD is dead. It will be more expensive in most cases to get your data recovered from a professional data recovery service than it will be to replace the drive. Data recovery services usually contract with the government and corporations for recovery of sensative and vital information.

You can get a replacement drive for about $35 for 40gb

I HIGHLY suggest having 2 drives with the secondary being a backup.

I just burnt my primary hard drive on my old computer during a storm.
    Fortunately I backed up frequently. But I can't back up until I replace my primary drive.

9. Tedster

backing up is easy - especially if you have XP professional.
    In XP pro (the only one I would ever consider using), just right click on your drive that you want to back up. There is a wizard that will pop up telling you what to do. Backup to a second hard drive. Don't bother with DVDs, CDs, etc.... it's too time consuming

If you don't have XP pro, use a program like Norton Utilities GHOST program.

Either program (XP or ghost), you can schedule automatic backups.

There are quite a few freeware and commercial programs you can use, but the ones I mentioned I have experience with and are reliable.

10. Zanevalon

its a lil late for that now tho =\ thanx tho

11. Tedster

Rule #1: always back up
    Rule #2: When all else fails, follow rule #1

12. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Now is the time to start this habit, that is if you consider what you have on your machine is of value to you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.