Help installing sound card.

By Reaper485
Nov 24, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi i have just reinstalled windows on my computer for the first time, now there is no sound. I have no disks to install drivers and i don't know what sound card i have. Thanks
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

It would help if you said what pc you have and what windows version you are using.
  3. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas Newcomer, in training Posts: 718

Do you have a sound card to put in? This 'no sound' thing happens a lot. Do you know how to get in to 'device manager'? I will assume that you don't. Go to 'control panel'-select 'system'-(L) click on 'hardware' tab-select 'device manager'. This will show you the tree of hardware in your system. Move your mouse down the tree and look for 'multimedia audio controller'. If it has a yellow exclamation mark by it, that's a warning to you that it's got problems. Go to 'sounds' (etc) left click it to open it up. R click on each item that drops down. You should learn a lot about what is or isn't working. When you right click on an item go down to 'properties' and left click and read on. Also make sure your sound is not on 'mute' or turned down all the way.
  4. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

If the sound card isn't installed then it probably won't show up through device manager. Just post what Rik asked for and somebody can post the driver that you need.
  5. Reaper485

Reaper485 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i am using windows media and a dell dimensions

the sound card is not recognized, it isn't in device manager
  6. Rik

In that case, go to the dell website and search for a sound driver there.
  7. Reaper485

I have downloaded the correct driver, but when i run it it says "setup is unable to detect a product on your system".

Please help.
  8. Rik

Is the card a built in one or a plug in pci one?
  9. Reaper485

I really can't tell, though i think its a plug in one
  10. Rik

In that case, download everest home edition from here Major Geeks and use that to hopefully identify your audio hardware.
  11. Gflo

Gflo Newcomer, in training Posts: 105

when in doubt rip it out(try to find the model and model no.)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.