Help installing Vista onto a newly built machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,

Just a quick one really. I'm fine with installing any operating system on a machine that has been setup or had an OS loaded prior to installing another OS but this is first PC i've actually built from scratch.

How am I going to boot to the disk when I need to get the disk in the drive first. Can I litteraly just switch the machine on and open the drive then reboot it to boot to the disk?

Will the drive actually work without having any drivers loaded or will there be basic drivers for that already loaded to the BIOS??

Please help..

Damien

Set the computer to boot from the CD Drive. Place the VISTA CD in the drive, and boot your computer. Hit enter when you see "Boot from CD..." follow the on-screen instructions. Don't worry about drivers at this point. You'll have plenty of time to worry about Vista drivers later

the dvd-writer i have is a sata drive though. will i have to enable the sata ports first then reboot???

Yea, you shouldn't really need to get into the bios to boot from the CD. If it doesnt boot from the CD then go into your bios and change the order that your computer boots from so that CD is first.

Then just follow the onscreen instructions and presto. (Be careful about installing an "upgrade" version of vista without having XP first, not too sure how to do it)

damienb said:
the dvd-writer i have is a sata drive though. will i have to enable the sata ports first then reboot???

That doesnt make any sense :) Plop the cd in the trey and go :)

i mean the the cd-rom drive i have is actually a dvd/cd writer combi and the interface is SATA as oposed to IDE. dont you have to enable the SATA port in the BIOS first befoe it will even see the drive???

Doesn't the DVD combo drive already work? It doesn't matter what interface it is as long as it works. It will be a boot device in the bios. You just have to select it as the first boot device. It may already be the first boot device. Put the Vista CD in the combo drive and see if the Vista install starts at the boot up of the computer. If it does, your set. If it doesn't, you'll have to set it as the first boot device in the bios. Understand now?

sure, i understand that. but i havent even switched this thing on yet. everything in this pc is brand new including the dvd combo drive. at the moment im still awaiting the RAM to be delivered so i cant do anything. the mobo is brand new so i havent even seen the bios yet...

Ok damienb,
I didn't realize that the PC wasn't completed yet. Just do what I explained once you get the PC finished. Make the combo drive first in the boot list. Place the Vista CD in the drive. Boot from the Vista CD and follow the on-screen instructions. It's really that easy, SATA devices or not

You're thinking way too hard into it. To reiterate, just put the disc in the drive and boot up from it. When it finishes loading, let the computer start up from hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back