Help Installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,
How do i install XP from boot up. Its just that the other day i installed XP over Win98 and I ran the disk while I was running 98. Its all working fine but for some reason it didn't format the hard disk completley and there are still some program files on there from Win98 and there was some personal stuff (pictures and word docs). Ive been advised to boot directly from the disk and do it through DOS all over again as apparently it should have completely formatted the disk. Thing is, I insert the disk and restart but it just goes straight to my login page and on to XP. Can anyone help??

Damien

You need to enter the bios at boot up and set the CD\DVD rom as first boot device. save changes and then exit.

Ive tried that but it just say Pri Master Incompatible?? I set the primary IDE master to CD-rom and the primary IDE slave to CD-rom. but i did try it first with just the primary IDE master set to cd-rom and i the same thing without the slave error???

Damien

If you are trying to set up your boot order as iss suggested, then I believe you are in the wrong place in the BIOS. All BIOS' are not the same so yours might be different from what I'm quoting. Anyway, instead being in "Standard CMOS Features" you should be looking under "Advanced BIOS Features." Under there you should find "Boot Sequence." This is where you set the CD drive to first boot device.

OK so ive found that part now, you were right. but it now just takes me striaght into xp again. i even made the 2nd device the cd-rom and the same thing??

try this one. it always works:
if you don't have a 98 floppy boot disk
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

right, now ive tried telling to only boot from the devices i say which all cd-rom and it comes up with boot failure. why would that be?? the disc works fine when you run it inside the os. why not from boot up??

Damien

there are quite a few different boot disks for 98, which one do i choose??
98 oem-mirror1-2
98 custom-no ramdrive-mirror1-2-3
98se oem-mirror1-2-3
98 se custom-no ramdrive-mirror1-2-3

????

Damien

is it a legal copy of xp
if you indeed set first boot as cd rom make sure it is the master in ide channel 2 at end of cable
the hdd should be in ide channel 1 as master at end of cable
oh ya and save on exit
probably bad copy of xp that was not made bootable
keep the disc clean do not wipe in circles but straight across face

anyway.
you don't need to boot per se from the cd rom the result is the same.
while in win-98. go to a dos prompt and navigate to your xp-cd drive.
type winnt32.exe and enter
it will bring up the same crap that booting from cd does.

when you install xp, while upgrading from 98, xp will see that you had a 98 working os on the machine, and automatically will keep all your files and documents and some programs, and will initiate an upgrade instead of a fresh install. to do a fresh install, follow this:
if you don't have a win-98 boot disk
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

an alternative to the steps in blue, would be to just go to dos and enter winnt32.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back