Help installing xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calky

I deleted the old partitiona and formatted my hard drive so theres nothing on it. When I try to install it copies all the files on and then when it restarts the computer it automatically boots from the cd again instead of finishing off the installation, if I take the disk out it says "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

Can anyone help me out.

Make sure the newly created partition on the HDD is the primary partition of the first HDD ( HD0 ), and check in the Bios to see whether booting from HDD is enabled.

I thought that booting from hard drive was disabled and that would causes the problem but I am unable to change this because I don't know the bios password.

On the screen where it says "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

up the top it says "Pri. master disk hdd s.m.a.r.t. capability....... disabled"

does the disabled part mean anything or is that normal.

The above post is a good possible solution.

To clear you BIOS password in a desktop system, you can reset the CMOS. There's a few possible ways to do this... For some desktop computers you can hold the INS key while turning it on. For just about all desktop computers, you can move the 'Clear CMOS' jumper on the board to the reset position (usually 3 pins with a 2 pin jumper, just slide it over from pins 1/2 to pins 2/3 and back to 1/2. And thirdly, another way is to remove the CMOS battery (small, round, silver lithium battery) and push it back in.

If you have a laptop, things get a little more difficult because the password is stored on a security chip, usually, which more often than not has to be replaced.

Well you could try standard passwords like password or 1234, failing this try and reset the bios to default settings, means getting inside the machine and changing a jumper setting, if your not comfortable with that approach perhaps find someone whom is willing to get amongst your circuits..

As far as s.m.a.r.t disabled goes, there is an option within the bios to allow this command, though that takes us back to above scenerio. It is not a critical option though can allow software better access to your HDD when enabled.

Edit" Well there you go, someone beat me to it.

I took out the lithium battery and put it back in and that did not work, I don't know what the clear cmos jumper is or where it is and if the INS button is the insert button then that did not work either.

Clear cmos jumper is usually located in close proximity to the lithium battery, it is a small plastic item usually black though sometimes green and sits on 2 out of 3 metal pins located on the mainboard. Follow ricks advice on how to use.

Other option of removing the battery is a good one, though you need to leave it out for at least 10 seconds, and usually done whilst computer is not running.

Hi there I could be wrong about this but who knows it may work. Can't you just enter bios before windows xp starts to boot? If you can, then you should be able to access your bios. From there should be an option where you can just reset your bios password.

Removing the CMOS battery considered a easy and safety option. finish this steps 1st, then the rest problem will ease for solving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back