TechSpot

Help - Invalid boot.ini File

By Death Dream
Jan 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm going to make this short, I installed linux on one of my partitions with windows XP on it. My Linux froze up and I had to kill the power (yes I know). Now my Boot.ini file is all fed up beyond belief.

So I launch the recovery console and get the following error when I type "bootcfg /rebuild"

"Failed to successfully scan disk for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent boot.cft from successfully scanning, use chkdisk to detect any error."

So I went and put in chkdisk as the next command and got the next error:

"Autochk.exe could not be located put in the location including drive letter it is in"

I have no idea where this file is so I just put C:\Windows and it didn't find it needless to say.

Any ideas? I still have a Live CD with Sabayon Linux on it too if that will help me at all.

I did fixmbr as well and it said it fix it but it didn't.

Thanks in advance,
    Death Dream
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. Death Dream

Death Dream Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok I did the first one already thus why I said I already did that in my first post with the bootcfg command.

Second, my computer is an OEM, I have to use floppy disk to even get to that blue screen setup window and I can not go the "Enter" path without the disk it seems.

Any other ideas please?

I don't know if this helps at all but when it says invaild boot.ini file it then says booting from C:\windows\ and then it sends me to the seen where you can either do a safe boot or last know good config .. all that stuff.

Everytime it hits the splash screen the computer reboots.

I booted up into safe mode to get te list of files to see what it crashes at and when it said Loading SPTD it rebooted.

~Death Dream~
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.