TechSpot

Help. Keys automatically typing

By NDR15m
Jul 20, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Thanks for the help in advance. I am not sure what I should do. I have a Toshiba laptop and have owned it for about a year now. In the last two days, the "7" key and the "home" key have been typing on their own. It seems to get worse (the keys type more frequently) the longer the computer is running. I scanned for viruses but didn't find anything.

Anybody have an idea?
  2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Have you checked for spyware? I recommend using the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded over the Internet.
  3. NDR15m

NDR15m TS Rookie Topic Starter

I found something called Newdotnet but nixed it already. I'll download ad-aware and give that a shot. Could it be hardware related?
  4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Yes it could be hardware but unlikely. In most cases when hardware breaks, the device stops working completely. Less than 20% of time does hardware have intermittent problems like this. Plus, why just 2 keys and not all of them? It seems much more likely to be a software problem. But you won't know until you solve it!

Be sure to use all 3 anti-spyware utilities I listed. There is more than one type of spyware which is why you need to run all 3.
  5. snacks

snacks TS Enthusiast Posts: 176

It might be a software problem, but is there a way you could remove the keys? Is it possible that something is jamming them?
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

if the keys are sticking, you'll need to replace the keyboard. But also check for keylogging programs.
  7. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

try another keyboard...if it'll work fine then problem is with your old one...no viruses.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.