Help. Keys automatically typing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for the help in advance. I am not sure what I should do. I have a Toshiba laptop and have owned it for about a year now. In the last two days, the "7" key and the "home" key have been typing on their own. It seems to get worse (the keys type more frequently) the longer the computer is running. I scanned for viruses but didn't find anything.

Anybody have an idea?

Have you checked for spyware? I recommend using the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded over the Internet.

I found something called Newdotnet but nixed it already. I'll download ad-aware and give that a shot. Could it be hardware related?

Yes it could be hardware but unlikely. In most cases when hardware breaks, the device stops working completely. Less than 20% of time does hardware have intermittent problems like this. Plus, why just 2 keys and not all of them? It seems much more likely to be a software problem. But you won't know until you solve it!

Be sure to use all 3 anti-spyware utilities I listed. There is more than one type of spyware which is why you need to run all 3.

It might be a software problem, but is there a way you could remove the keys? Is it possible that something is jamming them?

if the keys are sticking, you'll need to replace the keyboard. But also check for keylogging programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back