HELP: MB does not POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've been using an MSI K8NGM2 mobo for 8 months, it was perfect until a couple of days ago. I put my PC in S3 sleep mode overnight, then the next day, it could not wake up any more. I did that many times before and there was never a problem. Then I turned off the power, unplug the power cord and erstart, the board just could not post any more. I reset the BIOS, it didn't help. Then I tried the BIOS recover mode by pressing the Ins key and reset at the same time. After doing it many times, it finally post. Then I went into the BIOS, make sure everything is ok, then saved and exit. The mobo just froze there and could not restart. I also updated BIOS, no help. The only way to boot this PC right now is pressing the Ins key and trying the BIOS recover mode several times, then bypass the BIOS setting by loading the default. I tried differnt settings in the BIOS including the failure safe setting, nothing helped.

But once it boots into XP, everything seems to be ok. I tested the memory/CPU, all fine. the only other component is harddrive and DVD-R, they also work fine. I also tried to use another power supply and memory stick, no difference.

Anyway clue to this problem?
Thank you in advance!

Tedster said:
please read the NO POST guide in the guides forum.

Thanks. I've checked that guide, not very helpful in my case though. My board was ok for 9 months and I didn't add/remove any component or install any driver/software. Actually, I can still force a post, just not being able to reboot normally.

chuck4456 said:
Could we have complete system specs?

It's pretty simple:

MSI K8NGM2 (GeForce6150+nForce430) motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3200+
OCZ DDR400 512M X2
Samsung SP2504C SATA Harddrive

That's all. Everything seems to be ok except the board could not POST without forcing a BIOS failure recover mode, no matter whether it is a cold restart or hot restart. BIOS has been re-flashed with the lastest stable version.

Thanks.

I know you said you tried another power supply but what are the specs of your power supply and the extra one you tried?

mailpup said:
I know you said you tried another power supply but what are the specs of your power supply and the extra one you tried?

Both are no-name ones, one is 420W, the other is 400W. The 400W one is on a P4 now, which requires more power than this AMD box. Both worked fine with the AMD box before... I probably have to send it back MSI, just want to make sure that I don't miss anything before doing that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back