Help me Crimp my Wires!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev32

I'm currently in the process of creating a 15-17m long cat5 ethernet connection between two 10/100 hubs. Only problem is, after connecting both ends with the RJ45 connectors and plugging one end into the uplink port and the other into the other hubs standard port I am getting constant collisions. My HUBS manual refers that this is due to faulty wiring however I've checked both ends of wire with the ethernet tester which has verified that all 8 pins are connected with no non-parralell wires! Could another problem have caused this, I've heard that pushing the wires to far into the connector can cause problems and by the looks of it I have......

Normally to connect 2 network devices, you'll need to use a crossover cable. Some network devices have uplink ports that contain an internal crossover allowing a standard patch cable to work. You may want to try creating a crossover cable and see if that solves your issue.

Check this HOWTO(littlewhitedog.com) on how to make crossover cables.

Thanks for the info I'll try using the crossover cable idea after my mate (whose a technician) has a go crimping the wires. You see I've tried using a normal industrialy made cat5 (exactly the same as the one I'm trying to connect RJ45's to) to connect the two (via uplink port) and it works perfectly! I think I may be cutting the lengths of the 8 wires incorrectly though so it is resulting in data transfer collisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back