Help me figure out how to underclock CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamillitarysk8

My Pc is a dell inspiron 1150 like all 1150s it has over heating problems and i want to know how to underclock the P4 mobile or if there is any other way besides buying a cooling pad to help cool it down

U don't have to know much just go to your bios settings and look at the Hardware status and make sure that the fan is spin at atleast 3500 rpm, if not the u have to change but it exceeds the get thermal paste and apply it under the heatsink not the processor but heatsink.
Then let me know of your progress. R

if it's still running too hot, underclocking is indeed an option(but I'd recommend better cooling). you need to go into the BIOS and find the part where you can either change the FSB(front side bus) or the multiplier. The FSB and multiplier together make up the speed.

small example: let's make believe your pc runs at 2Ghz. Your multiplier is 10. Your FSB is 200mhz(FSBxmultiplier:200x10=2ghz) Now, if you lower your multiplier to let's say, 8. It'll be 200x8=1600mhz(=1,6ghz). You may have to look for a while to find these options though. Sometimes the multiplier is locked, and you can only change the FSB. e.g. put the FSB to 150 instead of 200. 150x10=1500mhz. You can usually find these settings in the 'advanced settings' tab, or anything that looks like it.

Good luck!

Exonimus said:
if it's still running too hot, underclocking is indeed an option(but I'd recommend better cooling). you need to go into the BIOS and find the part where you can either change the FSB(front side bus) or the multiplier. The FSB and multiplier together make up the speed.

small example: let's make believe your pc runs at 2Ghz. Your multiplier is 10. Your FSB is 200mhz(FSBxmultiplier:200x10=2ghz) Now, if you lower your multiplier to let's say, 8. It'll be 200x8=1600mhz(=1,6ghz). You may have to look for a while to find these options though. Sometimes the multiplier is locked, and you can only change the FSB. e.g. put the FSB to 150 instead of 200. 150x10=1500mhz. You can usually find these settings in the 'advanced settings' tab, or anything that looks like it.

Good luck!
I'm not sure if underclocking alone will help. You will probably need to decrease the voltage as you underclock to actually see a change in temps.

Yeah, with your Dell you are stuck, they lock down the BIOS. May I recommend you clean your computer out with an air can?

sorry guys, didn't know that. I can change clock speeds as I wish on my brother's dell. As far as I'm concerned, just get another really good fan =)

and @agi, with undervolting, you'll surely notice a bigger difference in temps, yes. But you can also see a change if you don't change the voltage(same with overclocking. You can make the cpu run a bit hotter without even changing the voltage)
to be honest, I totally forgot about lowering the voltages. :p

You might want to try Notebook Hardware Control. With this program you can easily undervolt or/and underclock a processor. But you can see its for notebooks, i understand that you have a pentium mobile processor? If so this the program you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back