Help Me For Selecting A Right Option For Me For System Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

numan

I am not getting well performance in gaming from my newly bought MSI Radeon 9800pro.(Low FPS in games like MOH-PA, BF2)
Many people says my Processor is limiting my 3dcard and i have to change it to get 100% better performance from my 3dcard. Is it true.

My system spec is.

Intel Celeron D 2.4Ghz
MSI Mobo with 4x AGP.
512 MB DDR 400 bus.

I have decided to upgarde my system. Plz help me for selecting me a right option or tell me what to do.

1. Buy Intel pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz 1mb chache memory 800MHZ FSB with AGP 8x motherboard and keep my (newly bought 8 days ago)R9800pro.

2. Buy pentium 4 3.0Ghz 512 chache 533MHZ FSB and buy 6600gt and plug them into my current MSI 4x AGP mobo or buy 1 with AGP 8x Mobo.

PLZ help me for selecting me right option!

One more thing How much Ht technology supports the gaming?(Is HT tech. is good for gaming?)

I've heard it said that celerons are the equivalent of a pentium with 70% of the celerons clock speed, so a 2.4 celeron would be like a 1.68 pentium 4, if that % is right. It would slow you down a bit having a slower cpu.

Agp 4x likely isn't a major problem with a 9800pro, but I may be wrong. People say that agp cards barely can use agp 4x's speed let alone 8x.

A 6600gt won't be much faster than your 9800pro, but the 3ghz cpu would make it work faster(less bottleneck).

I think you should just get a new cpu for your current board, depending on what your board can support, or a new cpu and a new board.
So a cpu'd be about $180 us, and a board would be $60-100.
I don't think there's any reason to ditch the 9800, at least not yet, although in bf2, it may not be very fast on high settings even with a new cpu.

Or if your board has the capability, you could overclock your current cpu, and see if it increases your performance.

well. What socket is your processor (478 or LGA775)? if you want to save yourself a lot of headache later on in life, I'd suggest selling things for what you can, and buy a new socket 775 processor, socket 775 PCI-e motherboard, and a PCI-e 6600gt.

Otherwise, if that's not an option, or you can't find a board that doesn't need DDR2 memory, the video card should work just great, don't worry about that, not good enough for high settings on BF2, but at least medium it should work, when paired with at least 1GB of ram, and your processor upgrade. I myself just recently bought a 3.0E Prescott off of newegg for 180 dollars. It works great, FPS went up like a rocket in BF2, it just runs really really hot...like...65 celcius when under heavy load.

it's all your call...spend not so much and stay in check, or spend a lot and save yourself more money later on.

Fry's has a p4 2.66 533fsb 1mb L2 and an ECS 848p-a7 combo for a hundred bucks. ECS eh I know but it has your agp 8x and a much faster non celeron processor.

If you replace the cpu and board, then you might as well get a newer cpu type, like a 775 p4 or a 939 amd 64.

I know there are 939 agp boards that will work with your 9800pro, like the abit av8, or is it the a8v, whichever is the abit one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back