Help me make the right Video Card choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lost Chord

Hi everyone, I want to be able to play games like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and the latest games coming out for PC.

Here are my specs:

Dell XPS 400
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GhZ
1.00 GB RAM
Radeon X300 SE 16X HyperMemory Graphics Card
Windowx XP Media Center Edition

I was reccommended upgrading my memory to 2.00 GB, and purchasing the Nvidia 8800 GTS card.

Can anyone suggest a professional opinion? I appreciate any help!

Getting 2GB of RAM is a step in the right direction. Make sure you get the right type for your motherboard, which would be DDR2 667MHz. As for the video card, the 8800GTS would be bottlenecked by your processor so you won't be able to get full performance out of it. Instead, get a Radeon X1950XT and you'll have a PC that meets your needs. Otherwise, to have an 8800GTS run at it's full capacity on your PC, you'd need to upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo. In either case, you'd need a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) from a reliable brand like Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax, Fortron FSP or PC Power & Cooling. It should also provide at least 550W. Make your choice and let me know what you can afford. I'll suggest parts accordingly. Also, I assume you're in the US? If elsewhere, do let me know.

Perfect, yes! I asked this question elsewhere also and was told the same thing.

I found the x1950xt for a great price at newegg.com, I will definitely get that...as for the CPU upgrade I am scared i would mess that up and may have to go through Dell for that.

I live in the US, yes, and thanks for so much help!

I'm glad to be able to help you. But do check with Dell about your PSU, since some of their PCs have proprietary PSUs that are wired differently and may be bigger/smaller than the average third-party PSU available on the net. Everything else seems fine. Good luck and let me know if you need any more help. :)

Another noob here. I also have an xps 400 and am looking to upgrade. I thought I needed to upgrade my mobo before I could ugrade my CPU to a Core 2? Also, Radeon X1950XT doesn't support direct X10 right? I was looking at the Nvidia 8600 GTS instead, please help.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I'm glad to be able to help you. But do check with Dell about your PSU, since some of their PCs have proprietary PSUs that are wired differently and may be bigger/smaller than the average third-party PSU available on the net. Everything else seems fine. Good luck and let me know if you need any more help. :)
The XPS 400 has a 375w psu which has 30amps so nothing to upgrade in that area.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm#wp1053343

kpo6969 said:
The XPS 400 has a 375w psu which has 30amps so nothing to upgrade in that area.
It actually has only 18A on the +12V rail. But that should be enough too.

@Mordeith, get any 450W PSU from FSP Fortron, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax or PC Power & Cooling and you'll be fine.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
It actually has only 18A on the +12V rail. But that should be enough too.

@Mordeith, get any 450W PSU from FSP Fortron, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax or PC Power & Cooling and you'll be fine.

so am I right about needing a new mobo to upgrade to a core 2 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back