Help me please, changing an HP mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

frus

Hi
i need some advice please
i currently have an hp pavilion desktop computer, using a ****ty mobo with an intel chipset 915g, only 2 RAM slots and no pci-e slot neither (this sucks so much).
First i think changing the processor ( i have a pentium 4 516 , 2.93 ghz), then getting a pci video card (like the diamond x1550 pci. But i think this is kind of useless because i wont get enough power with any upgrade using this mobo. Then i found some nice hp mobos on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Core-2-Duo-P...oryZ1244QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
( i know any hp mobo suck but comparing it with my current mobo its something really better),
But i read that i wont be able to use the restore disk with a new mobo, so i was wondering if its possible just changing the mobo and installing all the new drivers. This will work?
Thanks a lot

If you upgrade the board, microsoft says that that equals a new computer and therefore you would have to buy windows again (you may be eligible for upgrade though). That said, it is possible to swap boards without reinstalling windows (not that I'm recommending doing anything illegal :)). There are some guides online that say how to do this. If you do this you will almost certainly have issues with activation, so you'd have to call microsoft and try to get reactivated, since online activation will likely fail.

If you want a good board to put in that system, this is one of the best micro atx boards available. It should work with your current processor (as well as core2duos) and your current ram. Since this board can overclock, you could possibly get some more speed out of your P4 if you are into overclocking.

If you're thinking of buying a new motherboard, cpu, and video card, then maybe you should just consider building a new system instead of completely overhauling the hp. Just something to think about.

Best wishes.

Wow
that mobo rocks, thanks for the advice, but i have a question, even using a non HP new mobo, my front panel (2 usb audio and ie1394) will work?, also my external hp hard drive slot will work?,cause i cant find drivers for them, anyway, i cant afford an entire new system right now, i just wanted some upgrade capabilities so i can buy a new video card and processor in 1 year, maybe more (also the integrated video in any new mobo is better than my actual integrated video device)

I'm not familiar with your specific hp, but I'd assume that it won't be a direct fit concerning the front panel audio/firewire/usb/power button/leds. It probably wouldn't be too hard (depending on your experience of course) to modify the connector(s) to work, or put a new connector on the cable(s), but it probably wouldn't be a drop in replacement. I have no idea concerning the hp media bay. If the bay is sata and just plugs into the mothterboards sata ports, then it wouldn't be a problem, but otherwise it could be an issue.

Do you know if the hp motherboard you linked to would be an exact fit for your system? (concerning the front connectors and media bay)

I agree that just getting a new board now with more expansion(4 dimms, pci-e, better integrated graphics, and maybe more tweakable options) would be a good "stepping stone" to future upgrades like a new cpu and/or graphics card.

hi again
well here is my current mobo
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...48&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1149371&lang=en
and here is the one i want to buy on ebay
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3637&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
looks like they are compatible in all that features , and both computers looks the same (similar cases, front panels, power , usb , even the media bay)so i think there will be no issues .
About the asus mobo, it rocks, but i think the hp mobo got more working chances than on a non hp mobo.
Thanks a lot for the help
(my current mobo sucks, you can tell .....)

After looking at your links, it looks like it should work from what I can see. It looks like the new board lacks an ide connector that your current board has. If you need ide(like for a cd rom or older style hard drive), then you'd have to either get an ide to sata adapter or a pci ide adapter card. The other option would be to use all sata drives(cd drive(s) and hard drive(s)).

thanks again for your answer
i know i will need an ide to sata adapter, i have 2 optical drives in one ide cable so i just need 1 ide to sata adapter right? or do i need 2 of them?
thats the last thing i need to know before buying this mobo, i will tell u if it worked fine
thanks

This can be a very bad decision based on your current knowledge.
You are likely much better off buying a motherboard CPU combo and starting fresh. It will not cost as much, if you shop carefully.

But you have issues with power supply, memory, connectors matching the slots out the back, cpu, video graphics, and other things.

One thing for sure, you will learn a lot... but it will likely be painful, and you will be without a computer for a while.

The Windows you will need will cost somewhere between $78 and $130... and that is only the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back