Help Me Please!!!!!!! New Game Not Working!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmalone0023

Ok so here is the deal. I finally installed Civ 4 the right way! yippy. Now when I put disc 1 in and launch the game, right away i get only sound and a blue screen at first. Then when the menu screen comes up just the background and no selection words like new game etc. Here are my specs

2.8 P4 intel Cpu

Geforce 5500 FX NVIDIA 256 mb PCI

1.5 GIG of RAM pc3200

400 watt power supply

200 GB Hard Drive

I have plenty of everything for this game. Even my PCI video card. Hmmm HELP!

Without researching it myself here, does that card have DirectX9 support and support for Hardware Transform and Lighting?

If at all possible, can you set the game settings down really low? Like in a config file or something?

And what do you mean you installed it "the right way". Did something happen that I missed?
I guess, also make sure your drivers are all up to date.
Lastly, does the game crash or throw errors? How do you close it? Check your Windows error logs for anything pertaining to the game.

welll

Well I am not sure if it can support directx9. How do I check????

Ummm, and second what is the 1.52 thing and how do i install it?

Third the "install it the right way" thing was just an inside joke. You didnt miss anything.

oh yeah i forgot, i cant set the game settings to low becuz i cant see anything when the game starts up. Is there a way to do this from a file before i start the game up??

A FX5500 should support DX9 and Hardware T&L.
If I were you, I would change the video card to a better one. :)
Do you have AGP slot?

Just about all major games have patches developed after release to fix bugs and other problems. Google search for the patch or go to the game maker's website and download it. Install it like any other program. Patches usually search for and autodetect the game and install to the right folders.

No i do not have agp, but my new motherbaord through the mail will. Thats the thing, this card runs Black and White 2 with no problem. COV 4 doesnt seem like a game that has high end graphics... amd yeah it does support directx9.

ok the patch is downloaded, now what do I do with the file on my desktop. it just shows up as a winzip file...do I do anything with it at all?

If it is a Winzip file, it needs to be extracted into a folder.

Inside this folder will undoubtedly be a "readme" or "howto" or "install" file that you can read for instructions.

Thanks a tone guys for all the info, I would have already put the game on ebay if it weren't for you guys. ttyl and have a good night

You get it working A-Ok?

Definately sounds to me like you're lacking in the graphics hardware dept.. Might also want to search microsofts sites for DirectX 9.0c and download and install it.

Other then that, make sure the game is patched...

Yeah it started working great after i installed the patch, and i can run the game all on high graphic settings. Its actually a good Video card for just PCI. Runs games pretty good. Next i'll get gettin the 6800 agp8x. then i'll be really happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back