Help me recover from NTune. Freeze soon after XP appears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Hi! I was foolish enough to try to use NVidia NTune. It did not run too far into the program before the screen froze up.

My comp s/b in my sig: Asus a8n-sli deluxe, AMD 3800 939, Win XP 32 bit.

When I yank the plug, then restart, the comp gets as far as having the desktop appear, cursor moves but it is hourglass still, the time gets filled in at the lower right corner, the "start" button gets filled in at the lower left, then in another second eveything freezez. locks up. Task list will not come up. Nothing will happen.

The only variation is that some times, the screen will get messed up: diagonal lines of blues, as if writing my desktop to the screen got distorted.

How do I recover?

I got into BIOS and set everything to "auto," to undo the effects of NTune. Made no difference.

I went back to NTune site, and read s/t about having recent BIOS: so I have successfully updated BIOS to 1805.bin (thx to those who gave me input on that posting). Still no difference in this freezing pattern.

What should I do? [Oh, BTW: yes, I tried that little square called "search" but found nothing abt how to get out of this.]

local shop says: trojan?

well, i don't have time to fully get into some routines to track down what is going on with this computer.

so i took it to a local shop i have used before (i had my orig antec sonata power supply die, replaced it with antec neo which died in abt 3 months, and at that point did not have time to go thru it all again: pull mb to make room in this sonata case for psu etc.).

they just called and said: they have virus / trojan check running on the comp - and they believe the problem has been a trojan.

well, i sure did not expect that. i run antitrojan antimalware antirootkit antivirus pretty regularly.

i get adware/,alware all the time - it is either put up with it, or my family can't look at the goofy websites they like (gossip abt hollyweird stars, etc.).

avg recently detected and cured a trojan.

then i did this attempt at trying to have ntune adjust my system, got a lock-up, and kept having comp keep locking freezing right as windows came up.

so i have attributed the prob to ntune, which has a great deal of negative comments all over the web.

well, i hope it was just a trojan. i searched and could find no indication of nvidia ntune being a trojan or having a trojan.

either way: i am not gonna try ntune again. and hopefully, everything is running again.

nTune is not a virus, but nTune doesn't work properly with many hardware setups. You may have gotten infected from it's download site or just about anywhere else. No antivirus/antispyware program is 100% effective in it's protection. Just because a program has detected malware, and has said a system is clean, doesn't really mean "clean" in many cases.

Your system will be the one that "tells" you that all is well in time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back