Help me upgrading graphics on my old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

frus

Hi
i got this compaq presario, with an athlon thunderbird 1,4 gzh processor , 640 mb pc 133 ram, a 20 gb hdd ide 60, 250 watts psu and a nvidia vanta 8mb graphic card (agp 2x).
The chipset is via kt133, i read about that chipset and only support 4x agp and 64 mb on a video card.
I was searching and i found a geforce ti 4400 card, with all the specifications above, so i was planning to buy it, but then i found that its a directx8.1 card, Its worth trying to find a directx 9 card for this cpu?
i read that the geforce fx series sucks and the geforce ti were better cards. The only difference is the directx support.
Maybe i can find an ATI card? i need some help please
(dont tell me to buy another computer, i cant afford one and i got another decent cpu , i just want to play games using both of them)
Thanks

Th 1.4Ghz athlon is good, prrobably better than a low pentium 4. You will probably need a new PSU, and a 4/8X AGP card will run in 4X mode on your chipset. As long as it is a 7800GS or less lol.

You mean that i can use almost every agp card on the market right now on this old motherboard?

Yes pretty much, but go into your BIOS and make sure it supports 4X, and wait for some more opinions also.

Thanks, i just dont want to spend so much money on a card that will work at his 50 or 40%, (the lack of the 4x and 64 mb ), i just want to find the right card.

yes, i will , im going to buy a 400watts psu,
do you think its so bad buying a direct x8.1 card ?
i just dont want to buy a fx series card, so i think im going for a geforce ti 4

Check out the guide in my signature about video card upgrades.

As long as your PSU can handle it,,

but also there is always chance a new video card won't work with old mobo,

gl,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back