TechSpot

Help me upgrading graphics on my old computer

By frus
Jan 1, 2007
  1. Hi
    i got this compaq presario, with an athlon thunderbird 1,4 gzh processor , 640 mb pc 133 ram, a 20 gb hdd ide 60, 250 watts psu and a nvidia vanta 8mb graphic card (agp 2x).
    The chipset is via kt133, i read about that chipset and only support 4x agp and 64 mb on a video card.
    I was searching and i found a geforce ti 4400 card, with all the specifications above, so i was planning to buy it, but then i found that its a directx8.1 card, Its worth trying to find a directx 9 card for this cpu?
    i read that the geforce fx series sucks and the geforce ti were better cards. The only difference is the directx support.
    Maybe i can find an ATI card? i need some help please
    (dont tell me to buy another computer, i cant afford one and i got another decent cpu , i just want to play games using both of them)
    Thanks

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Th 1.4Ghz athlon is good, prrobably better than a low pentium 4. You will probably need a new PSU, and a 4/8X AGP card will run in 4X mode on your chipset. As long as it is a 7800GS or less lol.

3. frus

frus TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

You mean that i can use almost every agp card on the market right now on this old motherboard?

4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Yes pretty much, but go into your BIOS and make sure it supports 4X, and wait for some more opinions also.

5. frus

Thanks, i just dont want to spend so much money on a card that will work at his 50 or 40%, (the lack of the 4x and 64 mb ), i just want to find the right card.

6. metalring

metalring TS Rookie Posts: 23

You're probably gonna have to upgrade the PSU, 250w is a bit low.

7. frus

yes, i will , im going to buy a 400watts psu,
    do you think its so bad buying a direct x8.1 card ?
    i just dont want to buy a fx series card, so i think im going for a geforce ti 4

8. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Check out the guide in my signature about video card upgrades.

9. frus

you read my mind, thats what i was going to do right now

10. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Guru Posts: 467

As long as your PSU can handle it,,

but also there is always chance a new video card won't work with old mobo,

gl,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.