HELP!!! Motherboard/Bios/Misc trouble!

By nystrom
Nov 21, 2006
  1. OK, so before i start this...dont call me an ***** when you read this because I am truely perplexed by why this happened...

I bought a motherboard from my friend to put into my Dell (4550).
    I soon discovered that the mother board didn't fit into the computer properly and some of the cables would not work with the motherboard.
    I then replaced my old mother board, made all the connections (processor, fan, A/V...etc) and re-connected all of the external "stuff". When i went to boot up the computer, it didn't show the Dell splash screen, but instead showed the "Pheonix Bios..." Copyright yada yada yada , and said "this computer has failed to b0ot at checkpoint [Hdsk]. Then it showed "performing automatic IDE configuration".
    I'm totally perplexed and confused as to why it wont boot.
    Help me please!!!
  2. Surkitz

Surkitz TS Rookie Posts: 145

well before it really gets any worse from here, are all the connections properly secured/seated?
  3. nystrom

nystrom TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly. I've looked a few times and everything is connected to something
  4. nystrom

nystrom TS Rookie Topic Starter

If it makes a difference, I dual boot on this PC With Ubuntu and Win XP Pro, so i have GRUB loader
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.