Help: motherboard is not booting up - video error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have problem with my system based on Athlon 64 3200 AM2 on ASUS M2NPV-VM board. It was working fine for 6 months then once after reboot it did not boot up, power light is on, fans are spinning, no screen and it beeps: 1 long, 2 short signals which means "video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information". Now, video adapter is integratred into chipset (nForce 4), so I returned mobo to vendor which took 3 weeks to be replaced (misco uk), I got new board, put everything back on and.. same thing. At this point I realised that althrough video is integrated to chipset, it utilises shared memory, maybe it's trying to initialize screen before checking out memory, so being unable to test my RAM I got brand new stick and, you right, same thing. I'm going to replace mobo once again but now I realised another thing: memory controller on AMD systems is integrated to processor, can it be a issue here if cpu is faulty? In this scenario system cannot find or access memory, video has no memory to run on and points to video failure in first place rather indicate cpu/memory problem? Of course I've tried any possible hardware combinantion to trace the error (including few PSUs, clearing CMOS and so on) and it seems is either mobo (one broken and other, replacement broken on arrival, not very likely but happens) or CPU. Please if you can advise me what to do, I'm really going mad with it. I can't test processor in another pc and don't really want to use PC World service as they're rip off (for their service charge I could just get another CPU). Please, any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Can you install a video card and see if the system runs? Are the bios settings at the defaults?

Thanks for reply. I can't test other video card as only one I have is AGP in my old pc. Yes, BIOS is at it's defaults, have cleared it, another thing, brand new board with integrated video shall be set to use on board graphics by default - common sense. Please note I had this system running perfectly for 6 months until one day :/ It's either bad luck with boards or faulty CPU.

CPU's don't commonly go bad. It may be overheating. Heat is the common killer of CPU's. You have checked or changed everything else... go for the CPU

As you've said CPU fault is uncommon and I would certainly exclude overheating, CPU has never been overclocked, had generous amount of thermal paste applied and case been well ventilated. If anything, chipset could overheat, I've been told that nForce 4 chipsets had such problems and one on my board has rather small passive cooling. Saying that, IMHO faulty mobo and faulty replacement is greater chance than faulty CPU, especially it would not be first DOA board I have pleasure to deal with. Think I will send board once more for replacement and if it fails will look for new processor.

BTW Many years ago I decided to run my newly build Duron 850 system without CPU cooler (couldn't get it same day), it worked for about 4 seconds and shut off, got nasty finger burn checking if overheating was the cause. Next day I bought fan and pc is serving till today as my mum's internet machine =)

"had generous amount of thermal paste applied"...

This is a tricky statement. "Generous" is not a word I would use to describe thermal paste application. Using a quality paste like Arctic Silver, you only need to apply a very small amount for a thin layer between the CPU die and the mating HSF (Heatsink Fan assembly)

I'd personally go for another motherboard first... Good luck :grinthumb

Well, saying generous I meant adequate, it covers whole top side of processor. Heatsink is stock AMD.

Codex: I don't get picture, screen remains blank, no POST screen, only beeps pointing to video failure.

Paste is just right, covers whole CPU and does not stick out beyond the edges, was working fine for 6 months.

Beeps are 1 long, 2 short, according to Phoenix/Award guide it means "video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information", RAM seems to be ok since I got brand new unit and is not working neither, I tried also every memory slot, single, dual channel (both sticks are the same, PC4300), tried to clean slots with air can, was beggin, praying and cursing madly and mobo still beeps. It can only be motherboard or processor which I doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back