Help moving my IDE C: to a SATA RAID C:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

My old IDE C: drive is acting like it's getting ready to fail, so I'm preparing to replace it.

My MoBo supports 3gb SATA RAID, so I'd like to go that route.

What's the best way to move my Windows XP installation from my existing IDE C: partition to a new SATA Raid pair without reinstalling Windows?

Try doing a full disk copy with Acronis or Norton Ghost. Cannot give you a lot of hope as installing RAID drivers is part of the install process on XP.

No choice?

So does that mean I have no choice but to reinstall Windows after installing the two SATA drives if I plan on RAID'ing them as C:? (then use the Settings Xfer Wizard to restore my config?)

from standard IDE to SATA raid you have no choice except to install windows as driver installation for raid is part of the installation process. Even if you were able to clone the data, the restoration of the clone would remove whatever raid setup you had and/or crash the system as your original drive was PATA.

However, it still would be wise to have your personal data and programs on a hard disk to make it easy to move once you have your new raid SATA set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back