HELP! My Comp Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I am sooooo screwed. Bought this new computer just last year and a few hours ago it went kaput. I don't know what happen. It was making a lot of noise, most notably from the fan, which was a lot louder than before. In fact, it got loud enough for me to try to "fix" it. So I opened it up and cleaned out the dust that I thought was causing the noise. When I re-connected everything and press the power button -- nothing. Not a single thing! I don't know what happened. Maybe the power supply died, which is my only idea. Then it occurred to me -- could me forgetting to switch "off" the power switch before unplugging everything have an impact? I can't remember if I did it or not! I'm thinking I might have forgotten... :(

Anyways, hope you guys can offer some advice. I have a CPUSolutions.com bought PC (from the website):

Athlon 64 Socket 939 PCI-express Barebones

* ASUS A8V-E-SE ATX MOTHERBOARD
* Front Side Bus-2000 MT/s
* PCI EXPRESS VIDEO SUPPORT
* DUAL-CHANNEL DDR400/333 UP TO 4GB
* 2 x Serial ATA RAID
* GIGABIT LAN
* 8 USB2.0 PORTS
* ATHLON 64 3200+ SOCKET 939
* ANTEC SUPER LANBOY ATX TOWER
* AGI 350W POWER SUPPLY

I put in a new HD and a gig of memory. I should add that when I connect everything and press the power button, there is just nothing. Just nothing at all. This is IMMEDIATELY after I opened the computer to clean it and put it back.

If you didn't unplug the computer when you were installing/removing things, you may have fried something.

-When the computer is off, are there any LED lights lit up on the motherboard?
-Do you have another power supply you can use to troubleshoot?

DonNagual said:
If you didn't unplug the computer when you were installing/removing things, you may have fried something.

-When the computer is off, are there any LED lights lit up on the motherboard?
-Do you have another power supply you can use to troubleshoot?

No, I did unplug the computer. I just wasn't sure if I switched the "off" switch BEFORE unplugging the computer. Does this matter?

ADDED: I've been reading up on potential power supply failure, and one of the symptoms is that there isn't any power to the monitor? Well there apparently IS still power to the monitor. When I put the monitor adapter in, the monitor flickers off (away from that default screen it gives you when a monitor is unattached). Does this mean the power supply ISN'T dead?

Woohoo! I took a chance that it was the power supply, replaced it with an old one from my stock, and it worked!

Thanks for the help, guys. Well, the one person who responded. Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back