Help my dying Win 98 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me revive my PC thats running on Win 98? My windows went corrupt due to some missing files, instead of backing up my important file and apps that I dont want to loose I reinstalled windows again to worsen the case. i can get into safe mode , I have an 8GB USB thumb drive how can i move my files to this drive when the system is not recognizing the thumb drive in safe mode?
honeychico

Hhmm, 98se needed a driver for USB thumb drives, which may be why you cannot access it from safe mode. Try installing that driver in safe mode.

Failing that you could simply add your drive to a friends PC in place of a CD/DVD drive (know how to set the master/slave pins if necessary), then you can see your drive from your friends OS and copy files to your thumb drive ad lib.

what worked?

Happy about that, but for future reference, what worked, of the two options I suggested? I am certain that copying off your drive in another PC will work, but did installing a USB driver in safe mode work?

I hooked up the drive into a different system and it showed as a secondary drive.
I copied all the files and device drivers unto a DVD-R , reformatted the hard drive like anew hard disk after installing it in my system i re-installed win 98 ad all the applications that i have and loaded my files back
B I N G O!!!!!!!
Honeychico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back