Help: Need to replace fan for Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT (Atlantis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtisLow

The past few days my computer started making some noise here and there.
Now it's just a constant buzz. :mad:

I thought it was the CPU or Power supply fan, but come to find out, it's coming from the video card.

I'm not sure where to look or what I'm looking for when it comes to ordering the right stuff. If someone could kindly point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a pic of my card/fan.
http://img106.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img106&image=p10100125yb.jpg

Sounds like a little 2 stroke engine inside my computer! :knock:

P.S.
I have had the card for over a year & haven't had any complaints untill now.
Works great with every game I've played so far.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze together the ends of the pins at the back of the card and push them in as you squeeze. They should pop out through the front. The heatsink can be either glued on or just have paste. If its glued gently twist it back and forth until it pops off then use a razor blade to clean off the core. Put thermal paste on the core before you put the new fan on.

vegasgmc said:
Use a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze together the ends of the pins at the back of the card and push them in as you squeeze. They should pop out through the front. The heatsink can be either glued on or just have paste. If its glued gently twist it back and forth until it pops off then use a razor blade to clean off the core. Put thermal paste on the core before you put the new fan on.

Do the fans usually come with the glue/paste?
Or can I just goto Best Buy/Circuit City for that?

I was checking out that fan that you put in & I'm liking the idea of the sleeve bearing.

I think that's what's is wrong with my fan, ball bearings shot.

Also from the newegg link you gave, I saw the
Vantec "IceBerq" Coppery All-In-One VGA & Chipset Cooling Kit
Model "CCB-A1C"

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-110-103&depa=0

I'm thinking that would displace the heat a little better than the al, but the only drawback is that it has the ball bearing.

Thanks again! :grinthumb

My mistake. The copper one is the one I got. I got 2 actually. One for the motherboard and one for the video card. The kit does come with thermal paste. Ive used it for about a year and a half with no problems.

vegasgmc said:
My mistake. The copper one is the one I got. I got 2 actually. One for the motherboard and one for the video card. The kit does come with thermal paste. Ive used it for about a year and a half with no problems.

Cool.

So how quiet is the copper fan?
I've been doing a little digging and came across a good article on
sleeve bearings vs ball bearings. Seems I may have assumed a little to much
on thinking the sleeve was a better choice.

http://www.currentsolutions.com/knowledge/ballbearingvssleevefans.htm

More in depth article.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=193

Me Dell system came with the geforce fx 5200 & when the machine is on there is virtually dead silence. But I grabbed the Radeon 9600 xt for a great bargin, but I noticed it was a bit louder than the 5200.

The Radeon is a great card except for this little fan problem.

have you tried cleaning the fan rather than replacing it, i have had mine for over a year and not had a problem with it, i clean the fan once a month also the case and power supply fans not had any problems.

Darth_Terra1 said:
have you tried cleaning the fan rather than replacing it, i have had mine for over a year and not had a problem with it, i clean the fan once a month also the case and power supply fans not had any problems.

Yes... I took the card out...unscrewed the fan & blew some canned air through it.

Still making an ungodly noise though.

That's what's got me believing it's the bearings.

vegasgmc said:
It was quieter than the stock fan.

Good deal.

This fan is driving me crazy with the noise. :knock:

I ordered the Copper Iceberg.
Comes with the glue/apoxy.

I should have overnighted the damn thing.

Thanks again for the info/link Vegas. :)

Wretched Thing

Yea i have a sapphire x700 and the fan on that thing is a POS. It is way loose or something, it sounds like a dying cat when i boot. I let everything warm up, push on the fan a bit and the sound goes away. It is extremely annoying, and i fear when the time i cant make the noise go away. So i am going to order the same thing you got. Looks like the same fan.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back