help needed to boot Windows XP professional normally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys/gals,

i was trying to do partitioning of my Dell's laptop's harddisk, through powerQuest partition magic 7.0
while resizing of the partition it poped up some error message, and after that when i am trying to start the windows, a blue screen comes, and the error written over there is like:
"your system encountered some error. need to shutdown. if you encountered for the first time..............."
after that i tried to repair the XP, as i thought that the NTFS got corrupted, so dooted the system through original XP cd, then i selected the option to install the Os. but there ist not detecting any windows XP in my system, while during normal booting process, it is properly showing the Windows XP icon, then the "scrolliing dotted line" screen comes, then suddenly blue screen with above mentioned error comes.
Please help me to cure the problem, my basic concern is to save my Data, which is available in the partition, where XP is installed.

Ok man, that is easy, first mistake, never resize before defragmenting.Ok try defraging using partition magic rescue disk, u can create it from some pc or download a hirenbootcd it comes with it.After do a repair of yo os, now u should be carefull with repairing no creating formats, what u do insert in the winxp cd u used to install that os u have, let it boot, and i will ask u some questions, the first will be to press enter, then F8, then it will search for exist OS, when it finds it, it will list it and it will ask to ignore it or repair it so u press 'R' and then wait for it to complete, and thats it.Either way u may ignore the defrag idea and just go for the repair immediately
Wish u luck
Robin

thanks buddy,

i'll try this one....
as i have already tried the WIN XP , R option wihout defragmenting.
may be that after defragmenting it detects the Existing OS.
as of now it is not able to detect the OS with recovery console.

Abhishek

If that doesn't work, it sounds like it mangled the boot tables.

If Robin's suggestion doesn't work then you can try booting into the recovery console and typing fixboot and then fixmbr. Beware though. Sometimes fixmbr can make the situation worse.

Sorry I didn't read your above post well enough to realize that you said rec console isnt detecting the OS. Sorry man. I'l lfigure something else out

one other comment I will make is that Partition Magic 7.0 was never said with Windows XP, only Partition Magic 8.0 or better will work in this.

thanks to all of u guys, who are taking my problem seriously...
yes nick, it is partition magic 8.0 only,
herr5704: yes it looks like that the PARTITION table is corrupt...
one thing i am not clear with: if the system is able to reach the stage of scrolling blue lines window, during bootup process, it means that the MBR is ok, isn't it?
what i feels that partition magic is still trying to do some partitioning, but somehow its failing, thts why the error is coming on Blue screen, like"the system encounterd some error, system is shuting down to prevent severe damage, disable backup utility, antivirus....."
pls help me to solve this query, as prevention of Data in that partition is my only target...
if anybody is aware of fullt tested tool to repair partition/ data recovery.
Please let me know...

thanks

I fixed a computer prior to hearing your situation that once the computer finished loading XP (loading blue line screen dissapears), it would just display a blank screen. Upon using fixboot, the computer booted into Windows and ran fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back