Help Needed: Windows Explorer malfunctions after spyware removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! This is my first post, so please forgive the n00bness...

Spyware problem:
My friend's com had Kazaa on it, so I uninstalled it and all the other stuff that comes with Kazaa. I also made sure that no other stuff is left over, by running Ad-Aware, and deleting everything it detected. Now the Windows Explorer is malfunctioning. Symptoms include:

-'My Computer' is blank, shows no Hard Drives, or personal folders. (Screenshot 1)

-When I double-click (or even right-click) on any pictures, it shows an error message: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." (Screenshot 2)

-All files/folders seem intact. I am able to enter 'My Documents' from the start menu, and then from there navigate to any folders I want. (Screenshot 3) I am also able to access the pictures through MS Paint.

Computer Info:
-HP computer (I don't know what type, bt there seems to be alot of Compaq/HP background processes.)
-Runs Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP1.
-My friend uses IE even though I've recommended Firefox

I will soon include a HijackThis log, as soon as I'm able to contact my friend. In the meanwhile ANY form of help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you rebooted and this prob still exists? Have ytou tried a system restore to previous good state. Reboot pressing F8 (on most PCs), on the menu select Previous known good state (or something to that effect). Now this might bring Kazaa back to life, but at least you can try again to uninstall and hopefully this won't happen again. The other option is to have th XP cd disk and boot from that. Enter the Recovery Console and do a windows repair.

HijackThis Logfile

Thanks kirock, for replying. I'm aware of the System Restore option, but I'd preferably use it as a last resort. The ASR on the Windows XP CD wiped out all my personal files the last time I used it.

I have the logfile. Scanned it thru hijackthis.de, deleted the bad entries:

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://kl.bar.need2find.com/KL/menusearch.html?p=KL

O18 - Filter: text/html - {2AB289AE-4B90-4281-B2AE-1F4BB034B647} - C:\Program Files\RXToolBar\sfcont.dll

The symptoms still remain. Again, I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest how I can restore Windows Explorer to normal.

Old log - Log 1, New log - Log 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back