TechSpot

Help needed with a dial-up connection

By Anonymous Danny
Aug 5, 2005
  1. So hey, a friend of mine plays this game online (Warcraft III) but he can't host any games. This is usually caused by portforwarding problems. However, he says that he shuts down his firewall (Mcafree) before he plays. I would think that this is a hardware firewall issue then. I managed to fix my portforwarding problems but my friend is on dial-up, not DSL. Does anyone know how to portforward on a dial-up connection, or even if you can? Will turning off the firewall on the 1394 connection stop the problem?! Any help would be awesome.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

There is no 'port fowarding' on dial up, thats a direct connection. Port forwarding is if you are going through something else before the real connection. So I think his hosting problem lies elsewhere.

As far as turning off firewall on the 1394 (firewire), its not going to make any difference whatsoever.

3. Anonymous Danny

Anonymous Danny TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 48

So any idea on how to fix this problem?

4. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

I'm not sure if you can host WOW games on dial-up. I didn't think dial-up had enough bandwidth.

5. Anonymous Danny

Anonymous Danny TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 48

It's not WOW, it's warcraft 3. It says in the manual that a 56k modem can host a game

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.