Help needed with nvidia geforce fx5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolexf

I just Got the graphics card above but when i try to install it, its detected as nvidia geforce4 mx440.But when i start my system come on it shows it as Nvidia geforce fx5200.
Even on installing the driver for that its doesnt work well cant even play games.I dont know what could be wrong, I have downloaded various drivers for nividia from http://driverguide.com but when i try to install it says it doesnt have any driver for my hardware.
My system specification below
motherboard made by Phoenix
640mb ram
120Gb Hd
1.80Ghz processor intel celeron
AGP By Sis
Onboard Vga Sis650.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure I am following your problem exactly, but let me ask a few questions here.

Your system has integrated graphics it seems (judging by the onboard vga Sis650). Is that what you were using before you bought the new fx5200?

Did you delete the drivers for the onboard graphics, and disable the onboard graphics in your bios before installing the fx5200?

i Didnt delete the drivers for the onboard vga, I just installed the Fx5200.
Maybe that could be the problem i will delete thje drivers for the sis650 and reinstall that of the Fx5200.i will report how far i get with that

Normal steps before installing new card:

1. Boot up into safe mode, go into device manager and delete the drivers for onboard graphics
2. Boot into bios and disable the onboard (switch to AGP)
3. Install new card. Plug monitor into new card and fire the system up.
4. Install new drivers when prompted.

But one more thing
In terms of AGP i see things like 8x and so on
does that have anything to do with the problem
i will like you so shed some light as regards the above

It probably has nothing to do with the problem, as the fx5200 is "backwards compatible", which means that it adjusts itself depending on what type of AGP slot you have.

What make/model is your motherboard?

Did you unintall the onboard graphics, and switch the settings in your bios?

wolexf said:
But one more thing
In terms of AGP i see things like 8x and so on
does that have anything to do with the problem
i will like you so shed some light as regards the above
That just determines the speed of the AGP slot. Make sure the speed is set accordingly to what the video card is compatible with. Also make sure that the BIOS settings are set to NOT use the integrated video chip on the Mobo.

What's up with the darn Fx5200? This was the card I bought that brought me to TS in the first place. What did it for me was updating my mobo drivers and rolling back from the latest nvidia drivers. But then after a couple of driver releases I was able to go back to latest release.

Also make sure that the BIOS settings are set to NOT use the integrated video chip on the Mobo.
I believe this was covered by DonN well enough for wolexf to understand, but apparently you need a little more work. :haha: I'm just joshing u Coolmatt.

I think we need a new "sticky" thread.

Thread title: "People, stop buying the FX5200". It was also my first "gaming" card, and was soon replaced by the 9800pro. Boy were my eyes opened after THAT upgrade!

DonNagual said:
It probably has nothing to do with the problem, as the fx5200 is "backwards compatible", which means that it adjusts itself depending on what type of AGP slot you have.

What make/model is your motherboard?

Did you unintall the onboard graphics, and switch the settings in your bios?

This is my motherboard as reported by some Everest App i got from this site
Motherboard:
CPU Type
Intel Celeron, 1800 MHz
Motherboard Name
(MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD) MSI MS-6533EG (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset
SiS 651
BIOS Vendor
Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version
Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

[pre]AGP Controller:
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device SiS 315 Integrated
AGP Aperture Size 32 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

[/pre]

Onboard VGA
SiS 650 (32 MB)

This is all about my system

I tried uninstalling and disabling the onboard VGA but the problem still remains the same still detects the fx5200 as mx440 with 8x and after installing the driver for the 440 its still not workin well cant play any game and can only work on a resolution of 800 x 600 even my onboard functions better except for some games that require special graphic processing.
Any further suggestions

This is all about my system

kirock said:
You didn't say if you were able to update the mobo chipset drivers. This would be the SiS651 chipset. Also what OS are you using, 98, 2000, XP? If you are using 98/ME you should try the 77.72 here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html
If you are using XP/2000 try this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_geforce2-fx_2.26.html

I strongly recommend you search for mobo drivers from the manuf. website for the motherboard first.

Cheers. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
I will download the drivers for my board and that from nvidia and i will try it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back