Help needed with Pestrap and Trojans

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaman8

Hello All,

My laptop running Windows 200 Professional has been infected with some nastys and I need some assistance!!

1) Symptoms...lots of hard drive activity then a quick blue screen with a text too fast too read (something about memory deletion in second line...), then computer re-boots itself. Came up with PESTRAP popups and icon installed in the taskbar, then blue screen and re-boot repeat.

2) Removed wireless network card and all internet connections.

3) Ran Adaware,

4) Ran Trojan Remover v 6.? (in non safe mode as could not get into SAFE mode using F8. I actually got into SAFE mode and after a long wait (15 minutes) finally got Windows sign in but my password was not accepted!).

5) Ran AFT Cleaner and CC CLeaner .Ran Super Anti-Spyware...re-booted and got a message WINDOWS FILES PROTECTION: Files that are required for Windows have been replaced by un-recognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows 200 Professionsl CVD now. I did not have the disc at home so I clicked continue.

6) After re-booting computer (still with no wireless or wired connection to the internet), I got 2 different Program Error messages, one stating "ie_updater1.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created". The second Pogram Error message had the same text as above but was for Explorer.exe.

7) Every 10 minutes or so, I get a pop up which reads: Web Page Unavailable The web page you requested is not available off line. To view this page click connect. I clicked the stay offline box.

9) At this point I found this web site and followed the Malware removal procedure as best as I could, as I still can not open up Windows when I am in SAFE mode.

Attached please find logs for the various programs I have run. Note that I ran an older version of Hijack This soon after infection before I had use many tools.

Finally, any help will be greatly appreciated and sorry if I have included too much detail, but I am not sure what is important and what is not!!

Thanks,

Mitch

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt as well as fresh HJT, Combofix and AVG Antispyware logs.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of aquaman8 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Attachments

• avengerscript.txt
    244 bytes · Views: 10
Help Needed with Pestraps and Trojans

Hello Howard,

I ran Avenger as you requested. I also ran combio, HJT and AVG. The logs are attached. Note that There are 2 AVG logs. The earlier one was from a run of AVG in Windows normal mode, the second log was generated by AVG run in SAFE mode.

Thank you once again for your help with this. This group is amazing!!

Mitch

Attachments

• avenger.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 6
You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware qurantine.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Lotek.com<Only fix this entry if you don`t recognise the domain.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: ljjkhhh - ljjkhhh.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Perflib_Perfdata_43c.dat
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Perflib_Perfdata_3d8.dat
C:\FOUND.010
C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of aquaman8 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Trojan and Pestrap Help

Hello Howard,

Once again, just wanted to say how much I appreciate your help with this problem.

Attached please find the requested HJT file. I also ran Combofix and attached the log. I know that you did not6 request it and I hope that I did not undo any of the good you have done so far!

A question: I was wondering why HJT running in safe mode did not show the line

R0 - HKCU\.........\blank.htm

While it does show up when I run HJT in non-safe mode?

BTW the machine is running much better, with no pop ups appearing. I did get the message about Windos files being changed and asking me to insert the Install disk a couple of time, but cancelled each time. Based on your experience, does this sound ominous?

Thanks again and I will await your reply (and not run anything that you don't ask me to until then!!)

Best,

Mitch

Your HJT log is more or less clean. Just have HJT fix this entry from normal mode.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

It`s perfectly normal for HJT not to show some entries when in safe mode, that`s why it`s important to post HJT logs from normal mode.

I did get the message about Windos files being changed and asking me to insert the Install disk a couple of times

Is your computer asking for the Windows cd? If so, you should allow it.

Regards Howard :)

Hello Again Howard,

I just reread my post (guess I should have been mnore through BEFORE I sent it ;-) ) and noticed that my comment about getting the Windows message may have been unclear. Actually,the message I got was the following:

WINDOWS FILES PROTECTION:
Files that are required for Windows have been replaced by un-recognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows 200 Professionsl CVD now.

I did not have the disc at home so I clicked continue.

It has happened 2 or 3 times in the last week.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks,

Mitch

Howard,

I will do that next time the message appears.

How does my HJT log look?

Mitch

Howard,

Me again! Sorry about my last post. Just got back from lunch and did not scroll up the page far enough to see your earlier response!

So, I will make the change you suggest in HJT and will load my Windows install disc next time the message appears.

Let me take a bit of bandwidth here to thank you very much for your assistance with this. You and all the volunteers are to be commended for all the great help you offer.

In a world where the daily news concentrates on showing people that just do things for their own personal gain, the Internet does offer a way for helping hands to be extended across all types of boundaries with "no strings attached". There are a lot of good pepole out there, made up of people like you!

This group is fantastic and has helped me tremendously! I will definitely make every effort to use the services of companies who help to sponsor this endeavour!

All the best,

Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back