Help Networking a Printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hello Everybody,

I have a question about how to make one printer attached to one of my desktops print off other things from my other desktops and laptop. They are connected wireless;y and wired by a D-LINK router. I only want to share a printer not files. I don't understand how to do it and nay help would be great, Thanks very much

How to Make Share your USB Port or LPT1 Port Printer on your Network

You can make a USB Port or LPT1 Printer to be access by any PC on the network wireless or wired..

Make sure the Printer is connected with USB Port or LPT1. Not you can do this with several Printers USB on one PC or on others on your network.

1. Under Printers and Faxes hightlight the printer
2. Right click on the printer
3. Click on Sharing
4. Change do not share to Share this printer
5. Give it a name like: prt_lexme210 (Lexmark E210 Laser USB)
6. Click on Apply

PC#1 is your Printer being shared

PC#2
The quickest way to access this printer would be this...

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type: \\000.000.000.000 <-this would be the PC#1 IP Address
4. Once the PC#1 Windows appears you'll see the Printer you want use
5. Highlight the Printer
6. Right click on the printer
7. Click on Connect

That's it Printer will be setup for you.. Repeat this step for all your PC's on your wireless or wired network

Oh btw make sure you run a test print for each PCs you have the printer setup too. Just to make sure the drivers loaded over the network correctly.

If you have problems with the shared Printer on your main PC#1 then let me know there is a fix for that will with the driver.

One problem with sharing a printer this way is that if your PC is turned off, no one will be able to print. One solution to this is get a Print Server. This will place your printer on an IP address that is always hooked into your network. They come in wired, or wireless and are compatible with most printers. This will ensure that every computer will have access to it, no matter what computer is on or off. Usually they range in prices from 40-80. I would recommend linksys, but compusa brand ones work just as good.

Thanks very much everyone, I finally have it set up thanks for your help Tipstir. Now I can print wirelessly from my laptop to my desktop, I was thinking about a print server but my desktop is always on anyways so it really doesn't make much of a difference. Now I only need one printer and that's good so now I don't have to buy a million different types of ink cartridges so now this saves me a ton of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back