Help!! New Computer Build for gaming, media, and internet.

By JohnsonBayou4x4
Jan 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am thinking of building a computer for gaming, etc. I am new to this, yet know my way around computers. (After owning a Compaq, you have to know something about computers to keep it running!!). What I need is some advice on what motherboard, CPU, etc. would give me the best performance. I am looking to build for about $2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

it hurts me to say it, but if you wanna make the best system you're gonna have to get an AMD athlon FX-55 "clawhammer" core. Get a gigabyte board, like the GA-K8NXP-SLI (nForce4 SLI Chipset) or something else with that Nforce 4 northbridge. yeah, this will run you quite a few bucks, but if you've got 2 grand then why not? a hot scsi or 10k RPM sata drive, some name brand ram, and an ati x850 card. i wish that there was an intel option, but the 700 dollar+ FX-55 is currently the best choice for said use.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.