Help new laptop screen problem!

By Modena
Nov 18, 2005
  1. Hey Im new to the forums so sorry if im doing something wrong or posting in the wrong section. I recently bought a laptop, I got it in the mail yesterday and today I noticed these two red dots on the screen tiny dots but there noticeable. My guess is that they’re dead pixels but I just bought this should this be happening how do I fix it if that’s the case, I would really appreciate any help. Also if it helps its an inspiron 1200, has intel celeron m, 256mb ram, 40 gig hd, 14.1' xga.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I'd take it back without remorse and let'em have it if they argue with me. ;)

But here's the low down on failing LCD screens...

When LCDs are made, manufacturers know they are going to have a lot of bad screens. It's just the way the technology is and we've been paying the premium for their ~40% failure rate which results in a lot of tossed screens. Things are getting better and prices are getting cheaper, but this number used to be higher. Hopefully it is less for 2005. :)

Because of this, manufacturers don't usually consider screens defective unless they have a certain number of pixels dead. I'm sure if you complain enough (which I would), you could get it repaired or replaced. Since it is a laptop, and not a display... Not only do i consdier it pixel problems unacceptable, but the same tolerances may not apply for manufacturers.

Personally, any laptop with a single dead pixel deserves a return. There's a big difference between buying a 17" LCD for $200 and a 15" laptop for $1200. So if you'd like my opinion, take it back. If you are looking for a fix, there's really not one. Massaging the dead pixel can sometimes kicks start it again, but it rarely works.
  3. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 142

Well thx for the advice, going to call dell up and see what they say about it. (Hopefully they'll just replace it or do you think i should up for slightly better model with a wxga lcd)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.