Help new laptop screen problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modena

Hey Im new to the forums so sorry if im doing something wrong or posting in the wrong section. I recently bought a laptop, I got it in the mail yesterday and today I noticed these two red dots on the screen tiny dots but there noticeable. My guess is that they’re dead pixels but I just bought this should this be happening how do I fix it if that’s the case, I would really appreciate any help. Also if it helps its an inspiron 1200, has intel celeron m, 256mb ram, 40 gig hd, 14.1' xga.

I'd take it back without remorse and let'em have it if they argue with me. ;)

But here's the low down on failing LCD screens...

When LCDs are made, manufacturers know they are going to have a lot of bad screens. It's just the way the technology is and we've been paying the premium for their ~40% failure rate which results in a lot of tossed screens. Things are getting better and prices are getting cheaper, but this number used to be higher. Hopefully it is less for 2005. :)

Because of this, manufacturers don't usually consider screens defective unless they have a certain number of pixels dead. I'm sure if you complain enough (which I would), you could get it repaired or replaced. Since it is a laptop, and not a display... Not only do i consdier it pixel problems unacceptable, but the same tolerances may not apply for manufacturers.

Personally, any laptop with a single dead pixel deserves a return. There's a big difference between buying a 17" LCD for $200 and a 15" laptop for $1200. So if you'd like my opinion, take it back. If you are looking for a fix, there's really not one. Massaging the dead pixel can sometimes kicks start it again, but it rarely works.

Well thx for the advice, going to call dell up and see what they say about it. (Hopefully they'll just replace it or do you think i should up for slightly better model with a wxga lcd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back