HELP... no internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadecamp

I cannot get my network to share the internet connection. I just reloaded windows (clean reformat and load) and cannot get the peer to peer network to share the internet connecting form #1 computer. I have ran the XP network wizard, set TCP/IP to use IP addresses 192-168-000-1 & -2 & -3 on my three computers. I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP, etc.

I have disabled windows firewall until I can get this solved.

The strange thing is that the file sharing amoung the workgroup computers work fine. Its just the internet sharing.

I have Kerio. Will this keep the internet from sharing?

that can't be correct!

I had it disabled before I did the XP reinstall and it worked fine, in fact, wouldn't work if I had it on.

what else do you have? some things such as zonealarm (the free version at least) dont support ICS and you may be losing the data at that point.

if this is the case then you might want to run a proxy server on the computer with the direct connection to the internet and configure the other computers to connect through that. i had to do that at one point before i got the nifty wireless router.

and ICS 'should' be independent from an ISP, how AOL would prevent something like that i dont know. especially if you can DUN it, then it's 'supported' whether they like it or not

Originally posted by filthy_mcnasty you might want to run a proxy server on the computer with the direct connection to the internet and configure the other computers to connect through that. i had to do that at one point before i got the nifty wireless router.

Filthy sounds like he knows what's up. You should def try that.

You know, I do have a second nic card and a router. Can I somehow configure my system through that by sending one nic to the router and one from?

you would still have to set up internet connection sharing like that. You might as well just go with regular ICS or a proxy server program running.

i didn't look at it to deeply but kerio is a firewall from what i can tell. your problem is probably there. as i said, some free ones dont support ICS (and if you're paying for kerio then you should be on the developer's back to add support).

Can I somehow configure my system through that by sending one nic to the router and one from

i'm not entirely sure what you mean by this but if you have another nic card and a router then definately go that way. just run the connection through the router and you can turn off ICS completely. the router will do the work for you.

ie,

|--> computer 1
internet -> router ---|
|--> computer 2

(well it messed up my 'drawing' but hopefully you get the idea)

like this you can still set up file and printer sharing between the computers. the real benefit to this method is that a) it's easier on you to setup and b) you aren't required to have one computer turned on so that the other one can be online.

but maybe i missed your point on that. if the firewall is indeed the problem then you'd basically have to get a different one or do the proxy server way. this basically allows other computers on your network to go around the firewall.

I will try disconnecting the firewall first. I am just a little shy: After reloading windows I got the Blaster virus like 2 minutes after loging on to the internet to run windows updates. After that I got w32.welchia virus and had a heck of a time getting that off my computer. All that in less than 3 days. I then loaded Kerio as suggested by the guy that helped me get w32.welchia off.
One thing to note is that ICS didn't work before installing Kerio but I was running PC-Cillin firewall and Windows firewall. Now only Kerio firewall and PC-Cillin virus protection.

Here are some other pieces of info. I tried pinging.
From pc1 (internet sharing pc and XP) I can ping pc2 and pc3 by both IP address and name. I can share files with both pc2 and pc3.
From pc2 (XP) I can ping pc3 by IP and name but not pc1. From pc 2 I can share files with both pc1 and pc2.
From pc3 (98) I can ping pc1 and pc3 by both IP and name cand can share files with pc2 but can't share files with pc1
I can connect to the internet from pc1 but not from pc2 or pc3

I even tried : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309642
but noda.

which proxy?

Filthy,
can you suggest a free proxy server software thats compatable with XP? I looked at them on downloads.com that gsgleason pointed me toward but too many choices.

i use(d) fortech's proxy plus. was pretty straight forward to install / administrate.

http://www.proxyplus.cz/

it worked very well (it had an access violation with an older version of AIM awhile back but haven't seen this issue in a long time) for what i needed it for but honestly i cant really compare this to other ones available as this is the only one i've used for this sort of thing.

Hi all,
I disconnected the firewall and was able to share the internet :)
I then restarted it and found a check box that said "Is running on internet gateway". I then loaded Proxy+ and was able to acces everything from PC2 (WinXP) but not on the PC3 (Win98). I ran out of time so will work on it tomorrow..
I'm happy that I am seeing progress.
One note: Proxy+ isn't that intuative for someone like me that doesn't know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back