Help on installing new SATA hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

iambryan

i just bought a seagate sata internal hd to replace my broken IDE hd.
i followed instructions but when i went to install my windows xp os. it says that it does not detect a harddrive. i checked the bios but i did not see any option for sata.

i am really new at this stuff so excuse me if i dont know what im talking about.
anyway, i just need help with this. what are some suggestions that i can do to make this work?

the motherboard model is..

MSI: PM8M-V

i looked in the instruction manual. but theres not much help in there about this.

Yikes - I went there and downloaded what they laughingly call a 'manual' - what crap. I am afraid I can't offer much more since I have no idea what is in your bios.

Send MSI and email and ask what's up!

edit: also, look here and Google under MSI forums;

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?sid

thanks for you help. ive somehow gotten it to work. but now i want to be able to get my hd to be working at its full capacity. right now its still limited to 137 gb. how do i change that?

yeah i followed those instructions and downloaded that hotfix and installed it but now i dont know waht to do next. can someone please help me by guiding me through the steps?

sometimes flashing the BIOS will work. Also go to control panel, then admin tools, click on computer management. Then click on Disk management. On disk 0, or 1 see if there is any unallocated space that needs to be formatted. It could be possible that somehow you created two partitions on the C: If the other one is not formatted it will not read the proper amount of space.

oh thanks. i think that works.
i am formatting the partition right now. thanks for the help.
but i got some questions now:
1. is there a way now to change the size of the partitions?
2. is there a reason why theres a 20-30 gb memory loss? (my hhd is a 400gb but the capacity is only about 372 gb now)

1. There are third party software that can partition your hard drives.
2. I not really sure what you are asking here. Are you talking about HD capacity, or your memory.

You'd think they'd start at an odd number...

2. is there a reason why theres a 20-30 gb memory loss? (my hhd is a 400gb but the capacity is only about 372 gb now)[/QUOTE]

Maybe like 428 Gig so that after the formatting it truly would be a 400 Gig HDD.
Alas, marketing never has (and never will) work that way.

Nothing's wrong. The formatting takes up a certain percentage of total drive capacity. My 250's read out at 232.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back