Help! PC wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

My pc has been working fine for some time now until recently, when windows xp stopped working giving me bsod messages everytime it booted up or would boot up then login and then crash with a bsod. (sorry i dont have bsod msg noted down)

Anyway i had a second hard drive with ubuntu linux on it so i booted into that and used that for a while and i could still read my old files from my xp harddrive.

So i decided to buy vista and 2gb more ram (already have 2gb in) to install over xp. It turned up in the post so i installed the ram and i started to back up my data using linux to copy from my xp hd to my linux hd. Half waf through copying about 22 gigs it froze so i rebooted.

When i rebooted my bios asus screen icon looked strange discoloured and sortof slanted almost unreadable. Nothing happened so i rebooted again and the logo looked even more unrecognisable then i restarted one more time and it told me there was a fatal error booting and put me into the bios so i looked through the bios options and then it just shutitself down before i did anything.

Now when i turn on my pc i just get a black screen on my pc, the fans spin the harddrives spin but no power to my mouse or keyboard and nothing showing on my monitor. Both graphics cards fans spin.

I figured it was the ram or something so i removed the ram and there was no change.

I tried to reset the bios by removing the battery and switching the jumper as stated in my motherboard manual. Still no change.

There are no burn/discoloration marks or popped resistors as far as i can see.

My pc has 2 Point Of View 7600GT 256mb DDR3 sli i tried my monitor in both nothing still, so i tried another monitor and nothing on that either.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be, any help much appreciated.

Note i had problems when i first built my pc could this be the root of my problems?
Some initial damage i may have done when i first built it by shorting the board?
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic91547.html

David

MY PC

motherboard : asus m2n sli deluxe
processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+
Ram :
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
Graphics Card :
Point Of View 7600GT 256mb DDR3
Point Of View 7600GT 256mb DDR3
Case : Raidmax Sagitta Black/Silver Gaming Case With Side Window - With 500W PSU
Cooling : Thermalright Ultra-120 EXTREME CPU Heatpipe Heatsink with Scythe S-FLEX 1600RPM 120mm Fan

The motherboards bios may have been corrupted, but this should have made your system not boot at all from the start, instead of gradually booting several times then not booting... I think your motherboard is damaged, maybe from static discharge, while you changed parts

It could be a power supply problem. Try taking out one of your graphics cards and see if the PC boots or try a different power supply.

thanks for the responses guys, im still having problems tho

Basically i have managed to get my pc up and running but only occasionally.
When it did boot i installed vista and it ran fine i shut it down and booted it the next day ( i didnt touch it ) and it wouldn't boot just shows no input on monitor.

It does this several times then i manage to get it working on the monitor by fiddling swapping the monitor port and moving the case.

When i had this chance i updated the bios to the latest version it updated fine with no problems and said it needed to reboot. When it rebooted it did the same thing black screen nothing on monitor and has done this since, i still can't get it running again.

i tried swapping the graphics card into the each other slots one at a time but still no joy.

I thought maybe its the graphics card or motherboard, what i dont understand is why it would work sometimes but not all times.

Its not working now but tomorrow ill probably turn it on and it may work and then not work for hours again after that.

When my computer does work usually the first thing it outputs is point of view graphics card white text on black screen, then it shows the asus logo and post with the speaker beep.

At the moment i just get no output on monitor no beep. Its like everything is ready to go but it doesn't boot the bios until it knows there is output being shown on the screen.

i dont think the bios is corrupted as it wouldn't have booted earlier, i dont think the bios update i did corrupted anything either it seemed to check and install with no problems.

Any ideas now?

ok so today it still wouldnt boot, so i removed the battery and waited and put it back.
Now it booted and gave the post beep it all showed on screen it said by bios had lost its settings so i hit continue, then i got to vista and logged in, it said i need to activate my vista so i did and it crashed bsod something pf_list_corrupt.

I haven't been able to boot it again since. Its having the same problem.

I dunno if i should bother removing the battery etc, even tho it worked last time i cant do that everytime i want to boot my pc.

anyone any ideas the root of the problem

Sounds like you are loosing the CMOS/bios settings. There is what they used to call a Dallas clock chip on the motherboard. This chip could be bad, resulting in having to replace the motherboard

hmmm thanks for the response.
I tried resetting the bios again by removing the battery but it had no effect.

maybe you are right, unless is there still a possibility the mobo is shorting touching the case somewhere? would the symptoms be similar

I'm experiencing the same behavior, ECS 480-M Motherboard, updated using the winflash util, reboot and beep beep beep, beep x infinite

I know the flash was bad, question is how to fix it. Clear CMOS does nothing, removing the battery does nothing, Booting a CD doesnt work....

I *did* save the bios, Its on the harddrive.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back