Help picking PCI video card.

By DarthKirby
Jan 27, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello this is my first time to these forums :)

I have an eMachines T1220, here are the specs:

1.20 GHz Intel Celeron Processor
    128MB SDRAM (but i'll probably buy 256MB from Crucial soon)
    Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller

I only have a PCI slot, so my options are limited. I was going to get a Radeon 7500, but someone on the Gamespot forums told me that card is incompatable with my system. I heard that the Radeon 9000 PCI is a good card, but $100 is a little bit past what I wanted to pay (and besides I've never seen one in any store).

The only other card I know that has pci is the " PNY NVIDIA GF4 MX420 64M", but I dont know how good this card is.

ANYWAY what PCI card should I get, and are there any other Radeon PCIs that cost less than $100?

-DK
  2. vassil3427

vassil3427 Newcomer, in training Posts: 822

If that Ati Radeon 7500 is a pci, then of course its compatible with your system, all pci cards are the same (as in bus speed and such, 33mhz I think) minus the full length server slots...

But personally I say you save a little bit more money and get the Radeon 9000, but I say go for the 7500:grinthumb ...Cause I dont know how much a faster card will help when you're using a pci slot:(
  3. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

A Radeon 9000 PCI will easily outperform a GF4MX420 PCI, simply because it has full DirectX 8 functionality, so will get a much higher 3D Mark score. This is definitely a better choice. Also I suggest you get a 512Mb stick of RAM instead, since SDRAM is so cheap now.
  4. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

Full length "server" slots? I think you are referring to 64-bit PCI slots. Those are on some newer mass-distributed motherboards as well, not just limited to server motherboards.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.