Help Please Before I throw my pc out the window!

By krazy_in_ky
Jun 7, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a x850xt ATI RADEON graphics card. It won't work with my gateway motherboard. Can I switch to a motherboard that will support it or will that be a pain in the ****? I am just a novice computer geek so I don't really feel comfortable replacing the motherboard. Of course dh is determined for me to make the damn card fit. Does anyone know of any compatible cards that are comparable with the 850? He plays a civil war game that is shotty at best with our old 64mb crappy pci card. Suggestions?? I have 3 pci slots and
    1 PCI-E x16 slot but it is at the top of my slots and won't let me insert my x850xt card!!!!

DVD Drives or Decoder Cards
    102447 - NEC DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Hard Drives
    102131 - 250-GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

Keyboards
    102030 - Premium Black PS/2 Keyboard

Media Card Reader
    100712 - 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
    101313 - 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Memory
    102133 - MEM DDR 512MB PC3200

Mice
    102423 - Silver and Black PS/2 Wheel Mouse

Modems
    101197 - 56 K PCI Modem
    101198 - 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem

Motherboards
    102129 - Intel (South Lake) P4 Motherboard R0

Power Supplies
    102015 - 300-Watt Power Supply

Speakers
    102033 - 2.0 Analog Speakers
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

Is the x850xt PCI-e? If so why won't it fit? If it won't fit because the case doesn't allow it, then just get a new case.
  3. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

'I have 3 pci slots and 1 PCI-E x16 slot but it is at the top of my slots and won't let me insert my x850xt card!!!!'

Why not?
  4. krazy_in_ky

krazy_in_ky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

oops

guess I should have mentioned that LOL the reason it won't fit is there is a small box for my keyboard and mouse to plug into that is blocking it. I have a wireless mouse that runs off of a usb. Wonder if I get a keyboard that runs off a usb if I could take the chip box out? I am bout ready to just tell dh sorry bout his bad luck LOL
  5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Just get a USB keyboard... much cheaper and way less hassle than getting a new motherboard.
  6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Wait a minute....is this obtrusion inside or outside the case :confused: ?
  7. krazy_in_ky

krazy_in_ky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Inside the case the spot where you plug the mouse and keyboard in has a little box that little box is blocking the card from going all the way down into the pci-e slot. but even if i take it off the card won't have a vent for the fan so I think I am screwed.
  8. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Well if your going down the road of replacing the motherboard, then be prepared to have to reinstall windows and activate it.

Always a pain in the rear.

Regards
  9. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry Newcomer, in training Posts: 189

picture maybe would be helpful.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.