Help please composing new Boot.ini file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
It has been suggested to add a 3G/switch to my Boot.ini file for improving AutoCAD 2008 performance. My research has shown that I could really stuff my PC up if I don't do it right. One site recommends having a second instance of the OS line...
Their example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro with /3GB" /3GB

If there is a stuff up I will get back into my PC to correct things.
Here's where I need help!

This is my Boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Would some whiz be able to write it so that I have a second instance of OS.
As mine is different to the example I'm not sure how to do it.
Appreciate your help.

Hi,

Before you do this,read THIS page,carefully.

The boot ini you need is -

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP full 3GB setting" /3GB /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Also the first time you reboot to the 3GB mode immediately go the the My Computer properties/Advanced tab/ Settings/ Advanced tab

and change the maximum amount of virtual memory to 4 GB. This is part of the microsoft requirements.

Thanks for your help Po. Did it and it's OK. One further question. I have 2.5Gb of memory and it's recommended elsewhere that the virtual memory be set at 3 x physical memory = 7.5Gb. Should I still reduce it to the 4Gb for some reason?
Kind regards

From what I understand,the /3G switch will give 3Gb to the application

and 1Gb to the Kernel.

Windows 32 bit won`t address more than 4 Gb of virtual memory.More HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back