Help Please, My Computer Keeps Crashing!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE HELP!!
The problem started when I recently bought a new cpu fan+heatsink as my old CPU FAN was making too much noise. I tried to place it into my computer but it was too big to fit in so i just put my old cpu fan back in as although it made too much noise before it still worked.

NOW My computer keeps crashing, whenever i start it up. It usually gets into window and tends to crash while its loading items into the system tray.
Even When i open bios and leave it for a while it even crashes in bios. It just freezes after a few minutes and no matter what i press it remains frozen.

My computer specs are -
OS - Windows 2000
SIS650 motherboard
768mb ddr ram
pentium 4 2.8ghz processor

My CPU FAN speed is only 2678rpm
and my CPU Temperature goes upto 80 and sometimes reaches 100oc

Could Anybody please help me with what i should do to solve this problem. THANK YOU :)

First off, stop using your computer right away. Those temperatures you are hitting are dangerously high, and you are at risk of damaging your system further.

You need to RESEAT that heatsink and fan. It sounds like when you went to put the old one back on, you just plopped it back on there. True?

First you have to clean off the old thermal pad(paste) with solvent. Then reapply some NEW thermal paste. Once you take the heatsink off, the old thermal pad (or paste whatever the case may be) is no good anymore.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Just a quick Question. What solvent do i use to clean the thermal pad/paste?

i did clean it but i used cloth, do i still need solvent to clean it?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back