Help Please With Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spector

Hi Am new here but I'am in desperate need for help.When I put music and I turn on my speakers no sound comes out at all,but when I plug in my headphones in the speakers the sound works fine in the headphones.I tried reinstalling the drivers but it didn't work.I have tried unplugging everything and plugging it back again but that didn't work also.I have run out of ideas,and I don't know what could have cause this cause it was working fine before.

You`ve probably tried this already,but if you haven`t - go to the device manager and uninstall/remove all relevant sound devices(NOT audio codecs)then restart the computer.

The other usual suspects are,volume controls muted,a broken wire in or near the speaker plug,or even a dead soundcard.

There are a few more ideas here - http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/sound.htm

I've already tried all that.The weird part is when I plug in my headphones to the speakers you can hear perfect sound coming from the heaphones.The problem is when I unplug the headphones there is absolutely no sound coming from my speakers so I doubt that my sound card is dead and I've checked for broken wires and it seems fine.

Did you install/uninstall any software/hardware before the sound stopped ? If so try to reverse what you did.Is everything in the Sounds and Audio control panel as it should be ? If it`s a software problem,system restore might be worth a try.Not that it`s ever helped me much.

No not at all,I didn't uninstall anything.I don't get this one bit.Like I've said before how can I have sound from headphones but not from speakers? Good Lord I hope there is a solution to this!

Yes there is a solution.It`s either a software or a hardware solution.

As you say,sound in the headphones might be clue.

If your speakers are switched on and working,your cables and plugs are OK,and plugged into the RIGHT sockets.We know the problem is not external.Try re-seating the sound card,you never know.

If you could try your sound card in another PC, that would certainly help with the diagnosis.
Alternatively beg or borrow a cheap sound card.

As for software solutions(that you haven`t already tried)check the file associations in your various media players(WMP,Real,Quicktime etc.)
Re- install update WMP.Check for updates for sound card driver.

Here`s another dubious link - http://www.infohq.com/Computer/computer-sound-card-help.htm

When you find out what it is,you`ll be annoyed you didn`t try it first.

Hmm, I have to assume Spector is not an ***** and he has checked all the above discussed and no issues found. Therefore unfortunately from the discussion it sounds (no pun intended) like the main amp is dead on your speaker system, OR, (which would be better) you've lost power on the speaker AC adapter.

If you loose a diode in the rectifier circuit you can have voltage but not enough current to actually run the speakers/amplifier. In other words the lights come on but no sound. The headphone runs on preamp power direct form the sound card, no amplification required, so you could hear headphones but no amplified sound to the speakers.

Just a thought.

kirock said:
Hmm, I have to assume Spector is not an ***** and he has checked all the above discussed and no issues found. Therefore unfortunately from the discussion it sounds (no pun intended) like the main amp is dead on your speaker system, OR, (which would be better) you've lost power on the speaker AC adapter.

If you loose a diode in the rectifier circuit you can have voltage but not enough current to actually run the speakers/amplifier. In other words the lights come on but no sound. The headphone runs on preamp power direct form the sound card, no amplification required, so you could hear headphones but no amplified sound to the speakers.

Just a thought.
What you said sounds about right.I have tried various things and nothing seems to work.Its like you said,the light is on but there is no sound directly from the speakers,and the only sound that comes out is when I plug the headphones to the speakers.In any event I think I may need to buy some new speakers and hopefully that is the real solution.Thanks for trying to help guys!

Spector said:
In any event I think I may need to buy some new speakers and hopefully that is the real solution.
If that is indeed the solution,let us know.It might help people reading this thread in the future.Good luck.

Spector, Before you buy new speakers, see if you can take your AC power adapter back to the store. It has a big heatsink thing in middle right? That's where all the electronics are that convert AC to DC and radiate the heat (thus the fins). If this died then you'd have no power to your amp, BUT if you replace it , VOILA!, problems sovled (for a lot less money).

Possibly they could test it. They have to set it up to a load (same impedance 8, 16 ohms?) of your speakers first. Now under load they measure the voltage out. If the product of Volts X Volts X Resistance (8 ohms , for example)= Rated Watts is TRUE then the power pack IS OK.

IF NOT, then the power pack is at fault.

I'm just typing all this to give you the most options my friend. Armed with some information that u may or may not have had can be good.

Cheers.

try plugging something else into your speakers (walkman or mp3 player) and see if you get sound from that. To me it sounds like your speakers are done but I'd want to make sure before I bought anything.

Hey Kirock,that does't sound like a bad idea however it would be rather difficult to do.See I bought my computer from Dell by phone and they sent everything and that was like 4yrs ago and I had no problem with the speakers for all those years until now.sjps220 I don't have a Walkman nor an Mp3 player but if I get my hands on one, how would I connect them to my speakers?Do I use one of those cables that have the three colors like red,yellow,and white?

Ok I spoke to a friend and he pretty much gave me the explanation that Kirock gave me.The speakers are done even though the light turns on its pretty much dead.The sound card and everything else is working because when I plug in the headphones to the computer in the back the headphones work, and they also work when I plug them to the speakers so there isnt much I can do at this point.The good news is that he is going to give me some speakers so I don't have to pay for them so its all good.Also the brand of my speakers is Altec Lansing and it brings a subwoofer (those are the ones that died).

Sry I checked on-line yesterday but missed your reply.

I don't have a Walkman nor an Mp3 player but if I get my hands on one, how would I connect them to my speakers?Do I use one of those cables that have the three colors like red,yellow,and white?

I think the easiest way is to remove the main input speaker jack (located at the back of the PC in the sound card) and plug it into the earphone jack of the MP3 or Walkman etc.

Just to clarify: Your friend is going to give you a new set of speakers, including the sub woofer (this is where the amplifier is located) and the AC adapter that plugs into the wall socket and then into the sub? Without those 2 units you'll just have the same problem. I'm 99% certain your actaul speakers are ok, it's the amp (inside the sub) or the AC adapter that died.

You can check any of your PC speakers (except the Sub woofer) by just plugging them into your home stereo unit using the Red and White jacks. (just don't crank the volume ridiculously high)

Cheers.

Ok what I've done so far is plug my left speaker to a radio and it worked.The problem is in testing the right speaker because it doesn't have the correct cable since the right one is plugged in to the subwoofer.

Oh OK, my speakers all plug into the subwoofer using the common audio type red and white jacks, so I could plug them into any standard stereo/tuner to check them.

Do you or a friend have voltmeter? I really suspect your AC adapter which plugs into the sub from the wall outlet as the prob here. If you could test that or look it up on the web, maybe a local electronics surplus store might carry it.

But then again maybe it is time to upgrade your speakers and if a friend is willing to give you a set free, that's pretty sweet too.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back