HELP!! Re-installed XP, Can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gititgirl

Im sure there is a simple solution to this problem.. Here is the run down.. I have formatted and re-installed with this disk before (not on my comp though) and havent had a problem... The disk is the one that came with my computer.

I formatted and re-installed windows xp onto my computer. Usually during installation, before restart, it will check for an internet connection automatically. This time however, its like it skipped right through that step. It finishes installing xp with no internet connection check. My brother has used this disk on my comp before to format/re-install with no problem.

When it does restart and finish installing xp, I go in to manually configure the connection, I have high speed, (it says its already configured for highspeed) but it still says there is no connection. Ive tried resetting my modem, many times, and router (xbox live). I have tried to connnect just straight through modem with no router.. Still no luck! Very fustrating. I have used the disk before on a dif comp and it checked for internet connection automatically.

I am clueless as to why my comp cant recongnize the internet connection. If anyone has any input/suggestions PLEASE let me know. Ive done everything I can think of and Ill try just about anything!! HELP! I want my comp back! Thanks!!!!!

You should first check to see if your network adapter(na) is setup and configured properly. You want to go to Device Manager by right clicking on the My Computer icon from your desktop. Scroll down and click Properties. A System Properties window will open, select the Hardware tab click the button for Device Manager. The Device Manager window will open listing all the devices for you machine. Look for na in the list. If there is a (+) in front of the icon click the (+) to expand the list of available na. You would have a problem if 1. there is not one present or 2. it is present but there is a yellow question mark on it. You would have to find the drivers for your na to reload it to fix this problem.

If na is present and appears to be working then click Start>Network Connections and your network connections window will open. Here you should see your na listed and showing Disabled, Connected or Network cable unplugged. If it's disabled you can enable it by right clicking on the icon and selecting Enable. You probably won't see it as Connected because it would most likely be working. If the network cable is not plugged in then it would display Network cable unplugged.

See if na is available... if it is then you have to check that it is configured properly.

There are many Reason who one wouldn't have internet on there computer but the major one is not having Driver of the network adaptor and all you have to do is to go to RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER, then PROPERTIES. Then click the HARDWARE tab its usually the third. Then check if you don't have any yellow icon in a form of ! mark. if you have them, then insert you computer Disk and install the Drivers.Afterwared, you can go to CONNECT TO or CONTROL PANEL, then NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS to manually configure you adaptors for the internet setings.Thats all.Wish you luck success.R

Thanks to both of you! I will try this in the next few days. Its def something I havent tried yet. I will get back to you... Thanks!!!

There is so NA at all. And there are question marks!! This is what I get in device manager for ? marks.

+?Other Devices
-?Ethernet Controller
-?SM Bus Controller
-?Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I went through all the disks I have with drivers and nothing has helped. ALTHOUGH the "For reinstalling V.9X/56K Data/fax Modem Software for MW" disk says I have no modem present in my Dell but Im not familular with any of that.

Anyways, Still needing some help, Thanks to you all out there IVe been able to narrow some ideas down but still need help.

So there is no NA Present in device manager and I cant seem to find the driver for it on my disks, is there any hope for me now????

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your new thread for this, as it`s not needed.

Go to the dell website, download and install the the drivers for your model.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

HMmmm!

Yeah I see that, Im just desperate for imput haha... Its ok..

The computer has no internet so how am I supposed to go to the dell website to get the driver?

Is there a way to dl a driver and burn it onto disk so I can actually get it to the comp that needs it?

Use the computer your using to post on Techspot.

Then, download the drivers and burn them to a cd.

Put the cd in your dell computer and install the drivers from the cd.

Regards Howard :)

Click edit next to the category and choose Chipset, then download the chipset drivers.

Then click edit again and choose network and download your network drivers.

Then click edit and choose communication and download your modem software.

Wahoo!

So Im on my Dell. I only dled the Network Driver and its what it needed!

I will go back and dl the other ones also.

Another qiockie question.

Since I re-installed my screen resolution is way out of wack! It wont let me go any higher than 640 by 480 pixels, medium (16 bit) and its HUGE! It wont let me change anything.. A lot of icons arent even showing up because of it.

Any ideas?

And thanks.. Like I said.. prolly a simple solution..

Download and install your chipset drivers. Your computer comes with onboard graphics and the chipset drivers should have the correct driver to make your graphics work correctly.

However, if you have installed a separate graphics card, then you will need to go to the graphics card manufacturers website for the drivers.

Well I might be screwed on that one, My bro did have a graphics card in my comp at one time to play video games and then took it out before I moved so I will def dl the chipset thingie and hopefully it works, otherwise Im stuck with a comp that belongs in a nursing home lol... Time to dl anti spyware and all that fun stuff...

Thanks again..!! I was close to throwing it out haha...

there was only one thing to dl for the chipset software and after installing it didnt fix the reolution and still cant go above the lowest setting... guess Ill take a look around and try to find the reason..

Victory!!!

Well thanks again! This site rocks and you're a genius! haha 6 months Ive been trying to work the bugs out off n on and I just get fustrated. The resolution is back to normal! Thank you so much for taking the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back