Help! Registry Locked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neveron

From some reason, my internet explorer homepage is changed and i can't change it! I try to change it through registry, however, when i typed in "regedit" in the "Run", it denies my access to the registry by saying the registry has been stopped by the admisnistrator. Help please!

What has it been changed to? Are you at home, work or school? Is it possible this is set by a system policy if not at home? If not, the first thing I'd do is download Ad-Aware 6 and run it. You could've been hijacked.

You can get it here .

hi, thanks for you reply, however, i installed the ad-aware 6, and run it, but it seems doesn't help. i am at home. is any other way i can get around this???

I think you will need to boot into safe mode and run ad-aware, or hijackthis. That should get rid of the virus that you have and enable you to change your homepage once again. Once you have done this just boot back into windows as normal and all should be well.

i did exactly as you told me to do. but it seems the registry is still locked... :(... anyway, i really appreciate for your help. are there any other ways???

What has your homepage been changed to? You might be able to do a search at PC Hell for the problem.....the site has helped me many times. A lot of good info there.

it seems the homepage was changed very time i open a new window. and those homeage are full of ads!!! i am sick of it... i will try PC Hell. thanks for your concern.

yesterday, i used a antivirus software and removed the files affected by the virus, but the bad thing is it seems i removed the program which opens the registry as well... now, i still can't open the registry but i can set the internet explorer homepage. is it possible to recover the program so i can edit registry later on or i can find the registry editing program from the installation disc?

It might be possible to recover with sfc, ie. System File Checker, by running sfc /scannow.

If that doesn't work, copy regedit.exe from Windows CD, it's in \I386 directory. If you have installed service packs, its version might be different though.

i ran the sfc /scannow, it seems there were some files are missing, and it requires original installation CD, do i need to put it in the CD-Rom? i still don't understand how can registry can be locked... i tried to open regedit32.exe, but it doesn't work neither. it says the "registry operation has been disabled by administrator." (translated from my own language).

I know in older versions of Windows you could enable the registry from the registry (don't ask me why, but it does work). There is a boot disk somewhere on the forums that allows you to change your registry. It's a long shot, but there might be a setting that you can use to put your properties back. Also, have you tried to system restore to the last date you could edit the registry?

Hey Neveron, I suffer the same problem. You say you solved the problem by an antivirus program.
I use Norton but I couldn't find the virus with it (with last update)
Can you tell me Which antivirus program you used? Which virus did it find?
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back